D&D 5E Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen Trailer

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

Stormonu

Legend
There’s also the point, if we’re sticking to canon that the campaign should never actually see a Dragonlance.
If there’s no long downtimes, yeah - other than ones found stored/frozen in ice like the original modules. If months pass as part of the campaign, Theros does start manufacturing them so they’d show up in the late part of the campaign, when the north & south resistance forces start linking up.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
You consider things like The Wiz to be "repugnant"?
I don't see that as analogous. This is more like if they took the original 1939 Wizard of Oz film and edited it to make a bunch of changes then rereleased it as a the same product. I have no problem if someone wants to take Dragonlance and give tribute to it in a new product. Warcraft essentially did this from Warhammer and spawned an entire new large fantasy franchise. Homages are fine, cutting up the film is not.

I don't see that as analogous. This is more like if they took the original 1939 Wizard of Oz film and edited it to make a bunch of changes then rereleased it as a the same product. I have no problem if someone wants to take Dragonlance and give tribute to it in a new product. Warcraft essentially did this from Warhammer and spawned an entire new large fantasy franchise. Homages are fine, cutting up the film is not.
It's not the same as the original adventures/novels, it's taking place in an area the party there did not visit.

Hussar

Legend
If there’s no long downtimes, yeah - other than ones found stored/frozen in ice like the original modules. If months pass as part of the campaign, Theros does start manufacturing them so they’d show up in the late part of the campaign, when the north & south resistance forces start linking up.

Isn’t this supposed to start three uears before DL1? It was some time after DL 1 that they find the lances and then quite some time after that before production.

Unless this module covers about five years it should not have Dragonlances.

So nope. No Dragonlances in a Dragonlance campaign. Not if we follow canon.

Stormonu

Legend
Isn’t this supposed to start three uears before DL1? It was some time after DL 1 that they find the lances and then quite some time after that before production.

Unless this module covers about five years it should not have Dragonlances.

So nope. No Dragonlances in a Dragonlance campaign. Not if we follow canon.
I’m pretty sure if they don’t outright change Theros manufacturing the lances some time during the adventure, the PCs will run across a old cache stored away somewhere from the first Dragon war, even if it’s a one-off item like the broken lance in Icewall or the one from Derkin’s tomb. We’ll see them in the adventure in some form.

I don't see that as analogous. This is more like if they took the original 1939 Wizard of Oz film and edited it to make a bunch of changes then rereleased it as a the same product.
1. The 1939 Wizard of Oz is not "the original." There were at least two film adaptations of the story before it. Most people think of it as the original because it's the only one they're familiar with. Which fits into my overall point rather nicely.

2. Your description of the upcoming Dragonlance book is entirely incorrect. It's not being released as 'the same product', it's a completely different story than the original modules.

Pentallion

Explorer
Finding a cache of ancient dragonlances, meh, I can live with it I suppose. Introducing clerics before Goldmoon or allowing dragonborn?
I'll be holding off on my purchase until I find out what's up.
Is this a product made by creatives with love and respect or just a money grab made by suits with no talent preying on nostalgia?

Remove ads

Remove ads