[Dread] Jenga beat up my dice! My results from the indie horror RPG.

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm kinda disappointed to discover that you are neither bucaneer, nor felidae.

Are any of the cast of players Enworlders?

Having a gaming weekend starting Thursday with a bunch of friends, some of whom are casual and/or relatively new to gaming. Going to use this opportunity to dust off my "MIA" Dread game. Bodies appearing on the border of Miami International Airport and the Everglades during the Miami Vice era.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I am both buccaneer AND feline, honest. That's just my disguise. I don't think any of those folks are EN Worlders; I know them all through the Gamers With Jobs podcast and community, which is wonderful in its own right.

Part three, the final bit, and the character sheets are up! (Edit: don't follow the auto-link for Character sheets. It leads to D&D sheets! instead, they're here.)

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/120271#comment-3257264

Middle Snu

First Post
GREAT ending. One question around running these games:

After the stack is knocked over, there is a notable decrease in tension, since you re-build it. How do you manage this over the course of the game? If someone dies just before the grand climax, how do you avoid making it seem easy afterwards?

Nytmare

David Jose
One thing that you do when you rebuild the tower is that you have the players remove three blocks for every character that has been removed from the game so far. Beyond that, it just comes down to a matter of pacing and requiring more pulls from the characters to match the needed tension.

Klataubarada

First Post
Just an FYI. Will Wheaton just did Dread for one of his TableTop episodes. I like the creativity that can go into what causes a character to pull from the stack. Very interesting game!

n64Smaug

First Post
So...New player here, gamemastered Star Wars for about 4 years, but recently retired that :) I recently saw Dread on Tabletop, and thought it looked super awesome, so I picked up the pdf and am planning to run Beneath the Mask for a group of gamer friends mixed with some horror fan friends, I read this whole thread over the last couple of days and picked up some great tips! Just wanted to ask for any advice or experience stories related specifically to the scenario. Really hyped up about dread and the whole questionnaire thing. One specific question that I have is how do you suggest doing the Questionaires for Beneath the Mask, all the characters have questions that relate to the murder, so if I send out the questionaires ahead of time as many of you suggest, I clue my group in on the storyline before we even start, and I don't really like that, should I just do the questionaires in person? Before or after the intro?

Thanks in advance, I know you guys have great advice!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Hey, this thread is eight years old! And I STILL love this game.
Upon seeing this thread pop up again, my first thought was "Spam has necromanced another old thread." But then I remembered that people periodically post their Dread game experiences here.

Now I have hours (three hours?) of gaming to watch.
curses.gif

Random221B

First Post
Hey, this thread is eight years old! And I STILL love this game.

Want to see me run it? I filmed a time travel-themed horror game for the website Gamers With Jobs, running Dread for 5 exceptional players. Here's part one:

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/120154

Just watched this whole thing, and I really enjoyed it. All the players were great, but Jason and Dr. Clark were both particularly killing me. "I've never been in space before, do whatever it is you do. Space darts, f-ing space poison, I don't give a $#!+." :lol:

The confessional was particularly interesting. I know you've mentioned it in this thread before, but I can't remember the specifics, and don't have the time or mental fortitude to go back through the whole thread looking, so do you mind if I ask about it? From what I could tell, people could make a reality-show-style "confession" in place of making a pull. but are there any limitations on when or how often they can do that? I realize good players aren't going to take advantage of that to avoid ever having to make a pull, but just wondered if there was any more structure to the way you use it than just "make a confession in place of a pull"? It seems like something I might like to adopt in my own runs of Dread, and I'd love to know if there is...well...more I should know. :)

The other thing I found very interesting is that each of the PCs had sort of an "archetype counterpart" on the mission crew; Top level company exec (Jason/Jack), pilot (Chad/Kasami), mathematician-physicist (Patrick/Irene) medical doctor (Valentina/Seiji), and station astronaut (Annifer/Curt). Was this just to give each PC a direct connection to one of the crew members? Or was there a deeper intent to it, like, were the crew members supposed to each be some kind of symbolic reflection of the PCs...like they could see themselves in their counterparts, as a way of bringing the horror home more? Because before the mission happened, I was expecting that the PCs would end up having to become some sort of backup crew, since they filled all the same roles as the people who were going. That there didn't ultimately seem to be an obvious in-story reason for the "archetype duplication" started me wondering what the meta/themeatic-level reasons might be. Just curious.

Thanks!

~~~~Random

Random221B

First Post
Hey folks, just curious if anyone is still checking in on, or getting alerts on, this thread. I'd like to resurrect it again because it's always been the best place I've found to discuss Dread, and I have several games of it coming up that I'd love to get peoples' thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on. But I don't want to spend the time and energy to write up everything I want to talk about, if nobody's watching. :) So, if anyone is still following this thread, and would like to engage in discussion of some upcoming games, let me know, and I'll post my stuff.

Thanks!

~~~~Random

Remove ads