[Dread] Jenga beat up my dice! My results from the indie horror RPG.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Seonaid said:
How much do the players know of their relationships to the other characters? Do they know any of the other questionnaires? From what I've heard it sounds like no, but if there are pre-established relationships, it seems like role-playing them out during a 4-hour session would be too time consuming. How do you deal with that?

When I played in PC's game I answered the questionnaire without realising that anyone in the questionnaire might be appearing in the game being run by another player - although one of the other players quickly realised that THEY knew ME once the game started and soon started taking pulls to prevent me from recognising THEM :)

Cheers

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The characters only know what's listed in their questionnaires. Thus, if you want a player to know or assume something, you need to form the questions so that they point you in the right way. The secret is to do so without being too blatant or insistent.

I can give an example, if you're interested.

Seonaid

Explorer
Piratecat said:
The characters only know what's listed in their questionnaires. Thus, if you want a player to know or assume something, you need to form the questions so that they point you in the right way. The secret is to do so without being too blatant or insistent.

I can give an example, if you're interested.
I am interested, indeed. :D

JoeBlank

Explorer
howandwhy99 said:
We played a game I ran in November at our first Loki-con up in the north mountains.

This game was truly the highlight of Loki-con. I had a blast, and will never stop pestering howandwhy99 to run another.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Piratecat said:

From memory, we had a couple of instances (non-critical) in the game at GenCon where related answers in separate questionnaires contained contradictions; I'm guessing if there'd been anything crucial that fell into the same bucket, though, you'd have made a note to one or both players that some detail of their answer should be Y instead of X.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
My next attempt (maybe to premier at GenCon) will be using Dread to run a game based on the old Simon Hawke 'Time Wars' books. I just have to figure out the right setting...

Ooh!

I'll have to keep an eye out.

-Hyp.

Asmor

First Post
I think I'm about ready to run a Dread game, so I wrote up some questionnaires. Would like some criticism from those of you with experience running the game. :)

Set in the 1920s in a secluded mansion a couple hours from Chicago. Beatrice Simon, matriarch of the Simon family, has passed away, and the PCs have all been summoned for the reading of her will. Supernatural hijinx are the backdrop and catalyst for simmering inter-personal drama...

[sblock=Alex Simon Police officer, son of Beatrice and Montgomery Simon, brother of Felicia Hartwood]Why did you become a police officer?

What is your specialty, professionally speaking?

When it comes to corruption, are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

What did you bring with you to the reading?

Why do you think you deserve the family estate?

What object do you hope to get because it reminds you of your father?

When you found out your father was involved in the occult, why did you keep it a secret?

Why did you submit the anonymous tip about your sister's heroin addiction which ultimately lead to her losing her job?

Do you think Enrique, the gardener, made you gay, or was he just a case of “right place at the right time?”

Does anyone else know that you're gay?

What's your best feature?

What hobby do you spend your free time on?

How long have you been working on that double-homocide?
[/sblock]

[sblock=Felicia Hartwood Former FBI agent, daughter of Beatrice and Montgomery Simon, sister of Alex Simon, wife of Darren Hartwood]What kind of training did you receive in the FBI?

What do you do with all your spare time since being fired?

Are you still on heroin, despite losing your job over it? If so, when was your last fix; if not, how did you beat it?

What are you going to do when you find the person responsible for ratting you out and getting you fired?

Why do you think you deserve the family estate?

What object do you hope to get because it reminds you of your father?

How do you feel about the fact that this your husband's second marriage?

Who's more important to you: your husband or your brother?

Were you surprised when your mother confided in you that your father's sudden death wasn't due to illness, but suicide?

What are you good at, yet try to keep that skill a secret?

When will you tell your husband that you're pregnant?[/sblock]

[sblock=Darren Hartwood Accountant, husband of Felicia Hartwood]Why did your first marriage fail? Do you ever miss your ex, Claire?

Are you a faithful husband?

Why do you think you and your wife get along so well?

Why do you blame yourself for your wife's heroin addiction?

What did your mother-in-law tell you on your wedding day which you've kept secret all these years?

How did you feel when you found that your mother-in-law passed away?

What's your opinion on homosexuality?

Do you get along well with children?

Why do you still keep that ratty old baseball card in your wallet?

What's your secret shame?

Why is the mob after you?[/sblock]

[sblock=Donald Covini Owner of the Seventh Heaven night club]How long have you been in the mob?

Do you still remember the first man you killed? Is it a cherished or a haunting memory?

What big mistake did you make while disposing of some “garbage” last week?

Why was the Widow Simon so fond of you?

How long ago did you stop visiting your mother's grave?

Why haven't you settled down with one woman yet?

How do you know the Widow Simon's gardener, Enrique?

How did Darren Hartwood's first wife Claire compare you to he in bed?

Why is that gold watch so special to you?

Are you more worried about whether you'll be busted or whether God will forgive you?[/sblock]

scholar

First Post
ok, just picked this up, and considering I had 2-3 games all but designed after one reading of it, I whole heartedly approve of the game

I now have two questions

first, where's the cheapest place to get a jenga set nowadays, and which ones work the best?

I see a halloween one on amazon for about eight bucks, but I saw some talk of the the paint being an issue with the stacking an so on

and also, does anyone have any ideas for adapting the trust mechanic from cold city to dread? since over all, I think the setting would be amazing, but I really like the idea of that mechanic

Remove ads