[Dread] Jenga beat up my dice! My results from the indie horror RPG.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Wow! That would be beyond awesome.

Also, I should really thank you for the questions. Right now Em and I are finishing up our post-GenCon vacation, but as soon as we get home we're going to assemble the PDF with clarifications. So your questions will hopefully benefit everyone with the game.

No problem at all, I enjoy helping and being constructive.

I'll see what I can do for the reviews. Expect lots of colors and font changes, they tend to use email's formatting capabilities as much as they can.

:)

Seonaid

Explorer
I only didn't run it because I thought other people were! I have a nifty scenario planned - "Separation Anxiety," with the PCs as six people on a reality TV show about divorcing couples - that I think may be incredibly fun.
I thought you already did that! Dibs! ;)

I also was sad that no Dread was played by my friends and acquaintances at Gen Con. It's an awesome game and it's very non-gamer-friendly.

Thanks, Matchstick, for the review of House of Dread.I got a chance to peruse Rel's copy after he bought it, but none of us had a Jenga tower (or anything similar) so we couldn't actually play. It looks terribly fun!

I think House of Dread deserves its own thread, because I only checked on this thread by chance. I figured that by the 9 millionth post there wouldn't be anything new, but House of Dread looks nice.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I thought you already did that! Dibs! ;)

I also was sad that no Dread was played by my friends and acquaintances at Gen Con. It's an awesome game and it's very non-gamer-friendly.

Thanks, Matchstick, for the review of House of Dread.I got a chance to peruse Rel's copy after he bought it, but none of us had a Jenga tower (or anything similar) so we couldn't actually play. It looks terribly fun!

No problem! As I mentioned I wasn't home two hours and the kids wanted to play. Now we're talking about writing reviews to send off!

:)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just played with wife and daughter for the first time since coming back from GenCon and it was great fun!

To be honest I had a bit of a hard time groking the rules at first. After reading each of the sections a couple times I finally got my brain wrapped around it and then it made sense. Maybe I'm just a little tired today.

Regardless, once we got going we had a lot of fun with it. Several turns in my daughter knocked the tower down. She's a pretty good sport most of the time but I was hoping that her youth (she's 9) wasn't going to result in pouting about not being one of the teens anymore. NOT a problem! She totally embraced being the Werewolf and was soon growling and snuffling about at every opportunity. She seemed to particularly relish being able to hide away the stuff we dropped.

I was playing the Athlete and did get to use the Baseball on her, which was great because it bought us a round of not being hounded by her (pardon the pun). In the end it was a VERY close thing. We thought there was a very real chance that my wife's pull to Search for one of the last two items was going to topple the tower. But she made it and Sunrise came at last!

We had a lot of fun with it and it is definitely a good intersection between a board game and lite RPG. The creative descriptions were a wonderful addition with each of us striving to be as spooky as possible. I don't think we got good use out of the Spooky Token but we'll try and focus more on that next time, which I'm sure won't be long.

Thanks for such a fun game that we can play with the whole family! You guys are awesome!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've just created seven character questionnaires for my upcoming Dread game. The premise:

Down in the tropics, sometimes the best group therapy involves millions of viewers! Tune in to the hit reality TV show Separation Anxiety, where unsteady couples work out their marital problems in prime time as they compete for a half million in prizes. The challenges are getting harder. Can you go the distance -- with or without your spouse?​

I have high hopes for this game. One thing I've learned is that it's easiest for me to make a giant list of questions and then cut and paste them into the correct character. I slow down a lot if I try to create one character questionnaire at a time.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I've just created seven character questionnaires for my upcoming Dread game. The premise:

Down in the tropics, sometimes the best group therapy involves millions of viewers! Tune in to the hit reality TV show Separation Anxiety, where unsteady couples work out their marital problems in prime time as they compete for a half million in prizes. The challenges are getting harder. Can you go the distance -- with or without your spouse?​

I have high hopes for this game. One thing I've learned is that it's easiest for me to make a giant list of questions and then cut and paste them into the correct character. I slow down a lot if I try to create one character questionnaire at a time.

I desire to play this game.

One thing I've learned is that it's easiest for me to make a giant list of questions and then cut and paste them into the correct character. I slow down a lot if I try to create one character questionnaire at a time.

I'm the exact opposite. I do the characters linearly, and spend a fair bit of time conceptualizing them in my head. Which, given the players' inevitably take them in weird/homicidal/psychopathic/sexually conflicted directions, is probably a waste of time. But it does enhance my enjoyment of the game when I see a character behave in unanticipated by entirely awesome ways.

Working on one now based on the Lost Colony....

Remove ads