• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Driving Back the Gnolls

Art

First Post
Right now I'm trying to make up some adventures located in a forested valley that has been ruled by bands of gnolls for about ten years. The gnolls took over after the king died, and now are being driven back out again.

I'd like some ideas for creative encounters and adventures involving gnolls. Also some help describing the plight of the villagers and people of the valley for ten years under the gnolls. One idea I had is that after the king's forces left the region, the wilderness areas of the valley would become a haven for all sorts of bandits and monsters. Dwarven exiles are also going to settle there: their goblin slaves rebelled and drove them out of the mountains that surround the valley.

I'd really appreciate some good advice!

Mycanid

First Post
In one of the Neverwinter Nights 1 freebie adventures out there (Darkness Over Daggerford) an area with gnolls is present. Basically, the gnolls used to be in charge of the sole bridge over a REALLY long and wide natural chasm. They would charge tolls. Just before the adventure begins, some ogres take over the bridge and the outpost and THEY begin demanding tolls. The pc basically chooses who to side with and goes and wipes out the other band. (Although some wipe out both of them. ;) )

Perhaps something similiar could be done? Say ... the pc's agree to go and clear out the caves where the gnolls originally lived and then the gnolls clear the valley ... or something like that?

Or ... what if the dwarves or local townsfolk ask the pc's to remove the gnolls and in the process they discover that the gnolls just want to go back to their caves? (Sorta a 'la the old U2 module with the lizard men.)

Or ... what if an influential person in town is actually an agent of the BBEG behind the goblins in the mountains and for some reason wants the gnolls wiped out because they know something, so he begins arranging for them to be wiped out? And THEN the pc's find out about the gnoll's probs, etc., etc.

Just ideas....

Definitely have the human authority figures be little more than thugs/bandits who are muscleing in to take control. Kinda easy when you have a batch of battle-hardened, mounted dudes with decent armor, and magic back up to bully peasants.

GwydapLlew

First Post
There is an adventure in one of the Dungeon mags that has a small village being settled after the survivors were crushed by gnolls. It could be swiped for some plot ideas - you could also think about using the Victory Point system (Tome of Battle) for the overall campaign.

waterdhavian

First Post
If the Gnolls have made a permanent residence and are being forced out, its a great idea to make it complicated. Have several parties interested in their removal or the cause of their exodus. Take advantage of Gnoll's natural abilities, and have them raid at night or have the band of heroes be on alert every night in Gnoll territory. Have wild dogs and other animals being forced out as well and make it rough on the whole environment. When power or peoples change or move its tough on the whole area.

I had a game were this was the case with Frost Giants. Power switch or imbalance caused them to descend their mountain homes and attack villages on the plains. At the same time an agent for another interest was excavating ruins of the giants, giants blamed the villages for their ancient ruins being touched, meanwhile a Frost Giant was taking advantage of the power vacuum and placed himself as ruler with a more militant and bloodier rule than the former peaceful ruler.

This made it tough to figure out why and how the Giants were being mobilized. Who was to blame and which parties were to be helped or fought.

XO

First Post
Can't Help You, sorry!

Players in my game have erased gnolls from the face of the planet...

They are naught but a memory now.

pallandrome

First Post
Fun trick, have the party start booting the Gnolls out, as per standard. Usual rumors of Gnolls wicked deeds circulate among the humans. Only after the heroes run into a gnoll encampment (or, when fighting off a raiding party, the pally notices a distinct lack of evil) do the characters notice that the gnolls have since civilized, and are no longer evil. Hilarity ensues as the pally, having killed a few dozen gnolls who were only defending their valley, has to attone for his sins.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Art said:
Right now I'm trying to make up some adventures located in a forested valley that has been ruled by bands of gnolls for about ten years. The gnolls took over after the king died, and now are being driven back out again.

I'd like some ideas for creative encounters and adventures involving gnolls. Also some help describing the plight of the villagers and people of the valley for ten years under the gnolls. One idea I had is that after the king's forces left the region, the wilderness areas of the valley would become a haven for all sorts of bandits and monsters. Dwarven exiles are also going to settle there: their goblin slaves rebelled and drove them out of the mountains that surround the valley.

I'd really appreciate some good advice!

Keep an eye out for our "Emerald Curse" PDF adventure coming next week! It's all about gnolls in a forest! :)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Driving Gnolls Back

I recommend a large SUV, and take out the seats. Gnolls are big and they'll need the room. It also depends on what you're driving them back from. A night on the town? Then intoxication should make them tractable. Back from a big game? Then they're goning to be rowdy. Whatever the event, pray to God they had a good time.

Getting them back is just part of it. You also have getting them back in the house before they wake up the neighbors. Have some extra beer on hand, that should get them focused a bit. Some sing-a-longs, a few epic poems, and episodes of Cheers (Gnolls are suckers for Cheers) should mellow them right out. By morning they should be passed out and snoring away.

When that happens you get to go out and clean the SUV. A few applications of an industrial strength cleaning dweomer (I recommend Troglodyte be Gone my self) should eliminate most of the stink, but expect a faint whiff for the next year.

Sigurd

First Post
Remember the slaves

Gnolls are big slavers. Some of the valley's human inhabitants are probably among the surviving slaves. The gnolls might even have made examples of the previous ruling family. Survivors could reform the 'rightful' line if that is something to be desired.

Could also be that informers or gnoll collaborators are still around, or among the slave population, and that every survivor hates them with a passion.

10 years is not so long - perhaps an excellent time frame.

s

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads