Drow magic items (FRNJ players pls keep out!)

Swack-Iron

First Post
If you're in my FRNJ game, don't read this! Possible spoilers below.

I've been looking for information on Drow magic items and their use in the Forgotten Realms above ground. My pre-3e knowledge is kinda sketchy, but I remembered that in the days of yore Drow-created items ceased working after a short period of use above ground. I've checked every published FR 3e source (including City of the Spider Queen) and can't find any modern referrence to this, however.

I had a friend who's more conversant than I in pre-3e do some research, and he came up with the following:

Looking in D1-2 (the original Drow modules for AD&D) and seeing the reprint in the Against the Giants module for 2nd Edition, here's the following information on Drow magic items:

"Special note regarding Drow Cloaks, Armor and Weapons:
All of these items have special properties, although none of them radiate any magic. The items are made under the conditions particular to the strange homeland of the Drow, for this place has unknown radiations which impart special properties to these cloaks, armor and weapons. When such items are exposed to direct sunlight a rotting process sets in. The process is absolutely irreversible and within 2 weeks cloaks will fall to shreds, while armor and weapons become pitted and unusable. If items are not exposed to direct sunlight, they will retain their magical properties for 31-50 days before losing them, and if they are expose to the radiation of the Drow homeland 30 or so days, they will remain potent. Items not spoiled by sunlight will eventually lose their special properties if not exposed to the special radiation, but they will remain serviceable as normal cloaks, armor, shield, swords, maces, etc."

This was pretty standard for all of 1st and 2nd edition. I don't know if this sticks with 3rd but since there is little real Drow material out there and this is a long standing element of their magic (helps balance out the fact that they have so much that can be taken), I would expect it to remain true.

How are all you ENWorlders handling Drow magic items used on the surface world in 3e? Do they work just fine, forever? Or do they degrade over time?

the Jester

Legend
Well, my version of Drow is much more akin to how they were originally presented: a badass race that you DON'T want to mess with. Their items decay when exposed to sunlight. They aren't the piddly racial variant of elves that 3e has made them (imo to make it easier to play Drow in FR).

Originally, the differences between male and female Drow were extreme. They were all tough, and there were no such thing as first level Drow due to the harshness of their home life. Second level or dead, baby- at least once you're old enough to be considered a "teenager" in Drow society.

One of these days I'll have to stat out my version of them for 3e, but they haven't really popped up yet since 3e came out imc.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Drow are the one of the ultimate baddies in my game. I still have there weapons and armor deteriate out in the sun. Most of my players where from 2e and new this hinderance so it didn't bother them.
I did make up a drow house that specializes in above ground missions (thank you Sunlight Adaptation). There magic items do NOT deterite on the surface but they are the exception.

Hope that helps.

Remove ads