D&D 5E Drow Warrior of The Scorpion God

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I am considering making a Drow warrior of some sort for my friend's setting, wherein Drow are nocturnal desert nomads with a dualist faith based on a Scorpion god and a Spider god. The culture isn't super fleshed out yet, and my buddy likes to have players help flesh out the places where they come from, both during character creation and during play.

My basic concept is that as semi-nocturnal nomads, their hunters and warriors would have a somewhat stealthy bent, shadow magic might be common, light and fast builds even when they're Barbarians or Paladins, light and medium armor as heavy armor would be brutal in a desert during the day, and make nighttime stealth harder. I think a warrior of the Scorpion god would also be a little more defensive than the average warrior, and/or employ reach, and certainly use poisons.

One obvious route is the Beast Barbarian. You can grow a stinger tail and attack with it. Doesn't take much to read that combined with some reflavored magic items or something (for spider climb) as turning into a smallish scorrow (drow scorpion, like a drider but scorpion).

Another route is Bladesinger Wizard with a whip, and some poison and acid spells.

Another is a Shadow or Kensei monk, again with a whip, and the poisoner feat. Maybe MC Assassin Rogue.

Gloomstalker Ranger is awesome at night fighting, ambushes, dual wielding, add poisoner feat and ready go.

Any way to make a Paladin or a Hexblade (or any) Warlock work, here?

Games in this world tend to mostly fight humanoids, so I'm not too worried about poison damage being weak.

Any ideas I've not thought of? Which appeals most to you? What basic build would you go for with your preferred option?

What does the iconic Scorpion Knight or Scorpion Blade or whatever look like, if you aren't really interested in playing such a character? How would you build the idea as an example for players of what a member of a secret/sacred/exclusive/fraternal order of warriors dedicated to a nomadic semi-nocturnal scorpion god?

hopeless

Adventurer
Just a thought, but when I read this I was wondering if you were planning a variation of the Rock's character from the Mummy movie?

Or should that be the Scorpion King movie instead given the thread's purpose?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just a thought, but when I read this I was wondering if you were planning a variation of the Rock's character from the Mummy movie?

Or should that be the Scorpion King movie instead given the thread's purpose?
I'd rather focus on the drow of Eberron as a model than the scorpion king, but yeah....

hopeless

Adventurer
Sounds like either a Ranger or a Barbarian.
I need to double check on the Eberron stuff though.

EDIT: The Vulkoori, hunters dedicated to a scorpion god called Vulkoor.
Obsidian weapons?

Depends on both your background and back story I suppose?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases