• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid: Can I wild shape into a mount?

Vhex

First Post
For clarity's sake -- the mounted combat feat does work with Rules Compendium. It removes the -2 penalty to attack from the mount being ridden. But, Rules Compendium did remove the need for you to have mounted combat to use "mount" keyword powers and changed what creatures can be mounted. That +2 to mount attack isn't worth a feat (I mean, unless it's a player you're riding!)

So, according to the rules, a wildshape druid could be ridden by a halfling, pixie, etc without any changes being made. Unfortunately, that would mean that you share a set of actions with your rider in any turn where you start mounted. Not only that, but the druid would be at a -2 to attack.

There are medium mounts that can be ridden by medium creatures so if you're looking to customize you can add that in to your houserule. If you use encumbrance rules, that's another area where the druid is going to have problems though.

Taking a step back, what is the reason your party wants to do this? Is it so a mount will always be available? Do they want to do it outside of combat only? It really depends on what your group is wanting to do as to whether you even need rules for it or just handwave and say "Yeah, whenever we're out of combat, that's fine."

bleakraven

First Post
Thanks for all your answers, guys!

Yes, we wanted to have the ability to use the mount PC in combat (and outside too :p) so I think we will just add the -2 to attack to the mount, and have only one of the players (rider or mount) use a move action per round.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads