• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dry Erase on my Battlemat!

Bloodsparrow

First Post
AeroDm said:
Quick hijack hopefully for the benefit of all-

What exactly can one use on the Chessex mat with confidence that it will come off? We've had one for two years now and no marker has ever touched it because too many conflicting reports have come in.

Vis-a-vis in black or green.

Red and Blue are the devil.

Also, try to avoid eating greasy food on or around them. (Unless you have a tablecloth or placemats for when you order pizza.)

Having moved recently, I discovered the wonders of these new "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers". I love these things, they're AWSOME.

So I was thinking, if these things can get crayon off a wall...

If I find a battlemat with an owner who will let me test one out. I'll post the results.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Bloodsparrow said:
Vis-a-vis in black or green.

Red and Blue are the devil.

I've been using Vis-a-Vis on mine with no problems with any of the 8 colors (I have the set with brown, purple, et. al.) giving my problems in the last 10 years or so. Some markers in the early days used to cause problems with blacks & reds (this was early 80's). Even those stains have faded in time.

Of course, I don't leave most maps on there for more than a day. However, at times I've left them on their for a couple of weeks at a time and had no problems removing them.]

The worst accident was when I asked my brother to pick up Vis-a-Vis overhead projector markers. I pulled out a new marker and began drawing a map. When I had to correct an error I discovered that the marker wouldn't come off. Turns out that Vis-a-Vis makes permanent overhead projector markers. I had no idea! That mistake won't happen again.

I was successful in removing dry erase after a new player started keeping track of hit points in dry erase marker. It came up quite easily with a pencil eraser. However, this was within a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
WAIT!

Dry erase markers remove dry erase marks on dry erase boards because you are applying the liquid part of the dry erase marker to the stain. That liquid is the very same stuff in Dry Erase Marker Remover/Cleaner, the clear spray you can get from any office supply store (that is -- and I know these sentences are weird because I'm exhausted -- dry erase markers are a combination of a clear liquid and the colored stain, and you can buy the clear liquid part in a bottle). Rather than risking further stain by writing over the current stain with a dry erase marker, you can buy a small bottle of the cleaner for just a few bucks (or just borrow some from work or whatever).

Wet erase marking over the dry erase stain won't remove it because wet erase markers don't contain the "wet" part of dry erase markers.

Staffan

Legend
AeroDm said:
Quick hijack hopefully for the benefit of all-

What exactly can one use on the Chessex mat with confidence that it will come off? We've had one for two years now and no marker has ever touched it because too many conflicting reports have come in.
Not sure about Chessex mats specifically, but try using non-permanent/water-soluble pens of the kind one uses on overhead plastic.

Tom

First Post
Something to try.

rijeagle said:
Like some of the other posters above, I've had many battle maps that had dry erase, wet erase and permanant marker on them, and all refused to come off once they dried. I seriously doubt you'll be able to get the marker off without damaging the mat itself. Coca Cola was spilt on one of our mats, and it took off the marker when it was wiped off, but the marker had only been on the mat for an hour or so, it couldn't hurt to try I guess.

Could I make a suggestion?

Our group got tired of buying new battlemaps everytime they got ruined by marker(s), so we invested in a couple of 4'x4' clear 1/4 inch plexiglass sheets. On one side, we drew lines in permanant blank ink, and then use the other side to draw on with dry erase markers. We've been using them now for about two years, and even if the dry erase has been on there for a couple weeks, the dry erase cleaner solvent always cleans it up with no problem.

The only drawback is that each sheet was about $30 apiece, but for us it was worth it.

Dry-erase ink becomes very hard over time (kind of like the oil that dries out on the outer surface of a cooking pan and won't wash off) and becomes even more difficult to remove, so whatever you do, do it ASAP. If you use a solvent, don't leave it on there very long and have a solvent remover ready to use (soap and water).

I've found that if you really put some muscle into rubbing the bad spots, it will "flex" the mat and loosen most of the stain. You'll still have a ghost image, but the mat is still usable.

If you're tired of that wet-erase megamat, you may want to look into Tact-Tiles at www.bc-products.net. There are a couple of threads in enworld somewhere telling about them. They are 10" x 10" plastic interlocking tiles that are flat and coated with a dry-eraseable surface.

Good Luck! :)

I have to thank everyone who has posted to this thread, it saved our battlemat last night. In the middle of combat last night, we accidentally ended up writing on our battlemat with a red Sharpie permanant marker. I had just read this thread on Saturday evening, so when we realized that we were using a permanant marker (the DM had only drawn a few lines) I shouted "Go get some nail polish remover!" A little remover on a cotton ball, a few quick swipes on the mat, and it was all off. No stain, no deterioration, and it looks good as new. Now we just need to make sure we keep the Sharpies out of his reach when we play...

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It wasn't exactly dry erase marks but I had some old residue from wet erase markers on my megamat and hair spray got it out. I don't know what the substance in the hair spray was but it worked really well. It might help for the dry erase too.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Tom said:
If you're tired of that wet-erase megamat, you may want to look into Tact-Tiles at www.bc-products.net. There are a couple of threads in enworld somewhere telling about them. They are 10" x 10" plastic interlocking tiles that are flat and coated with a dry-eraseable surface.

Good Luck! :)

Got mine a few weeks ago and I've had the opportunity to use it in two sessions. These things are VERY nice. I'd be surprised if I ever touch my megamat again.

Harlock

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Using any one of these suggestions (great stuff btw) I wonder if you paid yourself an hourly wage to get rid of the offensive lines if it wouldn't be worth it just to go get another mat? ;)

Funny you should say that. At the time this happened I literally had one in the mail. I was upgrading from the small Battlemat to the big-ass MegaMat from FRPgames.com. Still, I'd like a clean little mat.

Remove ads