Dry Ice, where to find it?

Mr. Draco

First Post
I'm hoping to get a hold of some dry ice for a session i'm dming in two weeks. Aiming for the foggy-mist effect (it's a horror session). In any case, I haven't been able to find any place around that sells dry ice, let me know if you guys have any ideas!

Cedric

First Post
Local grocery stores often carry dry ice, but Alchemist had it right, let your fingers do the walking.

Cedric

Last edited:

A'koss

Explorer
Drago, just wondering if you knew how to get the most out of your dry ice. Just a couple of quick tips if you didn't... It evaporates *fast*, so be sure to buy it the day you're going to use it. Buy dry ice pellets if you can (and even 10 lbs. goes pretty quick) and the hotter the water you throw it in (boiling is best), the more fog it generates.

Cheers,

A'koss.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Important safety tips:
1) Dry ice is very cold, so don't handle it long with bare hands. Otherwise you risk frostbite.
2) Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the room.
3) Don't put dry ice into a soda bottle with hot water. Not unless you want a big hole in what ever you point the cap at. My friends punched a hole in a ceiling tile that way. :)

Balgus

First Post
Or you can just buy one of them fog makers that all stores sell during halloween. I am sure some specialty stores would still have them around- for a discounted price.

Mr. Draco said:
I'm hoping to get a hold of some dry ice for a session i'm dming in two weeks. Aiming for the foggy-mist effect (it's a horror session). In any case, I haven't been able to find any place around that sells dry ice, let me know if you guys have any ideas!
if you local ice plant doesn't carry it, contact you local dairies as they use it to pack ice cream often.
ken

Remove ads