DTRPG Says 'Don't criticize us or we'll ban you'

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
::insert Inigo Montoya meme here::
If you insist!

inigo-networking.jpg

Ah, that explains why there was so much hubub about it, and why there were so many conflicting stories. It was all about stirring the pot precisely to get social media involved.

Do you realize that the pot in this scenario is you? Venger Satanis didn't come to this thread and proselytize the danger of commercial moderation, apocalyptic "what ifs" about the future of the industry, or threats in the form of corporate guidelines. But he convinced someone to do it for him. Whether you intended to support him or not, you did exactly what he wanted you to do.

Please don't take this as an attack. I think it's great that you realized a few posts back that this was manufactured outrage, and that you were able to turn it off. Being able to re-analyze the situation and actually change your mind puts you in a class above most of the internet. I just want to point out that the "hubbub" or "angry internet mob" isn't always some distant muddled mass. Sometimes it's us. Individually. I've been there myself.

pantsorama

Explorer
Why do so many free speech absolutists not understand that freedom of association is part of free speech. Barring discriminating against a protected class, I need no reason to disassociate myself from someone, nor does any individual or group.

Full stop. That is part and parcel of free speech. One doesn't get to use my resources to say things I don't like. To do so is a violation of my free speech.

If there are consequences that one does not like, then work it out like adults. Don't insist that unilaterally one has a right to use my status/ infrastructure/ hard work to get notice for any behavior I don't want to be around.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
Why do so many free speech absolutists not understand that freedom of association is part of free speech. Barring discriminating against a protected class, I need no reason to disassociate myself from someone, nor does any individual or group.

Full stop. That is part and parcel of free speech. One doesn't get to use my resources to say things I don't like. To do so is a violation of my free speech.

If there are consequences that one does not like, then work it out like adults. Don't insist that unilaterally one has a right to use my status/ infrastructure/ hard work to get notice for any behavior I don't want to be around.

Because they're not really free speech absolutists. They're followers of the Preferred First Speaker Doctrine - not coincidentally, because they often are the ones rushing in to speak their minds first.

aramis erak

Legend
Honestly I'm not at all familiar with Rifts. I guess the point is, are playing the fascists the only choice? Are they presented as the "good" option; are their ideologies lionized? I'm only slightly more familiar with Warhammer 40k, but the idea there is that the Imperium is pretty explicitly bad, but also generally the least awful option available. There's a hint of parody there too (CIAPHAS CAIN, f'rex).
They are, at least initially, the primary setting. And the protagonists. It's not crystal clear in the core whether or not one is expected to play as one, or to play as those fighting them, but they are clearly the source of the best tech in the early release era of Rifts. The Coalition is noted for protection of humanity from the DBs (extradimensional beings), and being effective at doing so, but also being extremely speciesist, toxic, and going after those in their service who decide to help DBs even a little.

I realize I may have sounded rather extreme earlier but frankly I set that bar pretty low. WH40k would easily clear it. Trash like Racial Holy War doesn't. That WoD product from a few years back, the one with all the Nazi dogwhistles? That's about where the line is.
The 40K line is pretty clearly a parody. Joke names, and all.

The Rifts line is presented straight. The Coalition States are an Empire, not a republic. It's got strong fascist overtones. And it's explicitly intended to be used as either/both good guys or bad guys (RUE, p. 230). But RUE lacks other antagonists besides dragons, and they are similarly not cast as one role...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Midwesterner humor can be sort of dry (and weird), Siembieda is from Detroit, Michigan; so like Chicago, is even more of somewhere to poke fun at. Chi-town is even regular slang for the place, it is all sort of a gonzo parody, played straight, if that makes sense, sort of like the Yoopers being the last bastion of civilization.

Jahydin

Hero
The Rifts line is presented straight. The Coalition States are an Empire, not a republic. It's got strong fascist overtones. And it's explicitly intended to be used as either/both good guys or bad guys (RUE, p. 230). But RUE lacks other antagonists besides dragons, and they are similarly not cast as one role...
I like that it does that though. Do you?

Every new book I buy that has to specify what's "bad" and/or instructs me the "moral" way to play the game puts me off.

Midwesterner humor can be sort of dry (and weird), Siembieda is from Detroit, Michigan; so like Chicago, is even more of somewhere to poke fun at. Chi-town is even regular slang for the place, it is all sort of a gonzo parody, played straight, if that makes sense, sort of like the Yoopers being the last bastion of civilization.

As someone from Michigan, can you explain this a bit? I'm not as familiar with Rifts, so I'm confused by what this actually references.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases