• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dual cover runs?

Fishbone

First Post
I'm a real system/setting addict and one that has my attention is Ramlar, I'm really thinking about preordering this puppy. Anyhow, the publisher is doing softcover and hardcover versions of the books, with the hardcover versions costing 5 more dollars. If more companies would do this would you be interested in paying less for a softcover version of the book or is hardcover your thing?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Preferably hardbound. Of course, it would be wasteful to make hardbound books that are less than 150 pages inside. So, I'm willing to keep an open mind on thin softbooks.

Fishbone

First Post
Eh, I've got about 20 softcovers and they've been all aces for me. They do take more wear on the corners if you aren't careful but I'd be willing to take a 5 or 10 dollar price cut to the vast majority of books I buy. Its not that big of a deal with me.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Fishbone said:
Eh, I've got about 20 softcovers and they've been all aces for me. They do take more wear on the corners if you aren't careful but I'd be willing to take a 5 or 10 dollar price cut to the vast majority of books I buy. Its not that big of a deal with me.
Yeah, but I hate it when the gloss plastic coating starts to separate on the edges. Then, like my glasses, I have to use Scotch tapes.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I'd go with hardcover if it's the core book for the system (or just about any rulebook, if as REG says it's more than 150 pages or so). I like softcover for adventures.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It depends on the book. If it's a corebook, then hardcover is better. Setting books are kinda iffy, because a lot of times you don't use it that much, unless it's got a lot of rules and such in it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fishbone said:
If more companies would do this would you be interested in paying less for a softcover version of the book or is hardcover your thing?

That depends.

If I really like the game, and expect to play it a whole lot, I'll buy the hardcover. If I'm getting the rules only for a mini-campaign, or I don't expect to play frequently, I may opt to save a few bucks and get softcover.

Remove ads