Pathfinder 1E Dubiously Legal Builds

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Originally posted with an accompanying comic. Here be my tale. Ahem:

Let's talk about OP builds and suspicious numbers. It’ll be a quick talk, because it’s a fairly straightforward point. All I really want to say is this: If something is too good to be true, it usually is.

That old truism came into stark relief recently when I encountered a player excited for a sorcerer build.

“What’s it do?” I asked.

“It’s invincible!” he replied. And with a wide grin he explained, “My dude has better AC than the Fighter at level 10!”

I was intrigued. But as he explained, I became increasingly distressed about the guy’s soon-to-be-burst bubble. He was rocking a 38 AC in PF1e, and it was all thanks to the magical equivalent of wearing multiple suits of armor. I could only lay a hand upon his shoulder, shake my head like a world-weary TV doctor, and give him the bad news.

“I’m sorry. We did everything we could. Your build died on the operating table.”

Nine times out of ten, when you think you’ve come across the next killer build, there’s some little rule that you forgot. In the case of my disappointed sorcerer buddy, it was the old “most bonuses of the same type do not stack” rule.

While there are certainly OP builds out there, do yourself a favor and verify that mess before you trot out your fancy new PC. Get a second opinion. Ask around on forums and with your resident min-maxer. Whether your AC is nuts, or you’re TKOing enemies with incorporeal attacks (I just reach in and crush the heart!), or you’re dropping wildshaped whale druids on the enemy for 1,000+ damage, chances are that something may be a little off. So do your due diligence and double-check. I’ll be the first to congratulate you if you do manage to pull off some advanced (and totally legal) rules-fu.

That in turn leads me to this question: Have you ever encountered a “too-good-to-be-true” build? What was it trying to do, and what was technically wrong about it? Sound off with your favorite “it works great if I get my GM to allow it” shenanigans!

Calthropstu

Villager
So I had this guy in my game who used dsp psionics. Couldn't understand that you could only use as many power points as your manifester level. I'd ask for his damage and get absurd numbers like 230 at level.7. He was blowing out 1/2 his power points in a single shot.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My favorite is the weird interpretations of the rulebook.

The whip wielder who uses both hands for a strength bonus...

The mounted marital who holds a two handed lance in each hand because the rulebook says "uses one hand while mounted"...

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
So I had this guy in my game who used dsp psionics. Couldn't understand that you could only use as many power points as your manifester level. I'd ask for his damage and get absurd numbers like 230 at level.7. He was blowing out 1/2 his power points in a single shot.
Classic. I think that a metric boatload of "psionics is busted and not allowed at my table" comes from exactly this misunderstanding.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases