• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duergar have Quills

beverson

First Post
I didn't realize that there was a such an issue with beard quills.

It freaked my players out when the first duergar they met pulled the quills from their beards and threw them. Made them seem inhuman and alien. Of course, this was the first time I have ever used a duergar in game, so they didn't know the difference.

I haven't heard the end of it from my players. One actually got up from the table in mock disgust saying "If you can't be serious, I'm outta here!". The Duergar have been mocked mercilessly ever since.

I blame it on Mearls, who gave us a door in Keep on the Shadowfell with writing on it that said "Keep out - REALLY!". And what was behind the door? A Blue Slime, which prompted this response - "there's no such creature!"

Thanks Mearls. :mad:

This seems to be one of the design decisions that is a cusp.

If you're lucky (?), you see it as a bit of interesting oddity that makes a creature seem alien.

If you're like me, you LOL at the potential for absurdity. Of course, I do that with a lot of things...

Plane Sailing, I was thinking the goblins would have big, floppy bunny ears. The kobolds have the rat teeth. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Perhaps Goblins could all have outsized incisors and rat-tails?
I've thought about making a goblin druid who spends all his time in giant rat form -- or a guild of goblin thieves who are all druid-touched (but not in a sexy way, just the multi-class feat) and can change into giant rats.

Aeolius

Adventurer
This is an interesting approach to monster design that I've never considered -- merging characteristics with small mammals.
I did that with my undersea game; kobolds inspired by blue-dot stingrays, goblins inspired by goblin sharks, bugbears inspired by coelacanth, orcs inspired by black chimaera, and so on.

A Blue Slime, which prompted this response - "there's no such creature!"
To which you reply "There is, now." ;) Making stuff up is half the joy of DMing. I once added my own slime-mold creature, the Membrane; in puce, ecru, and vermillion varieties.

Remove ads