Dumbest rpg idea ever?

aramis erak

Legend
Amber Role-playing - Game to promote story telling but used no dice. Yea, I have it but it did not work as a game.
I know several people who disagree...
The thing most miss is that it's NOT intended for PvGM... it's PvP with GM Moderating and pot-stirring.

For boardgame comparison, Diplomacy and Advanced Civ both are diceless, combat is deterministic, and still work fine as games...

Last edited:

corwyn77

Adventurer
I've played in a couple of those. It generally doesn't work—unless the genre is horror. Then, boy howdy, does it work!
We did it with a GURPS time travel game, but placed it in the future with idealized versions of ourselves to avoid arguments and to make us at least adventuring-adjacent capable.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Well one reason I heard parasite studio closed fasa's game was it revolved too much on combat, kinda violating the ideals of trek not being a war in space show. Of course TWOK was just a couple major shipfights and a few years later DS9 became the dominion war show...
Of course, that was due to the "war" with B5, the show it ripped off. B5 was gaining in ratings and had a big war, so...

Yora

Legend
The ripoff claims only have some claim to accuracy in the last two seasons.

Which have fancy visuals, but are otherwise pretty bad compared to the earlier ones.

niklinna

satisfied?
The ripoff claims only have some claim to accuracy in the last two seasons.

Which have fancy visuals, but are otherwise pretty bad compared to the earlier ones.
Well, the studio canceled the fifth season, so they had to wrap up the main arc quick. Sheridan basically telling off the elder races and them actually sheepishly leaving the galaxy pretty much undercut the whole story. And after that the studio gave Straczinsky a whole extra season! So things just kinda meandered to no real conclusion after that, because of course the conclusion had already occurred.

Or at least that's what I knew at the time.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The Hickman Revolution. Turning RPGs into novels the participants follow along through is anathema to the whole point of RPGs. Players making choices that matter is the whole point. Removing those choices so the referee can narrate a story at you...not great.

MGibster

Legend
I think the whole DS9 ripping off B5 came from both of them have similar concepts. I really don't know what the truth is, but sometimes different people come up with similar ideas indepedently of one another. Just look at Dennis the Menace.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I think the whole DS9 ripping off B5 came from both of them have similar concepts. I really don't know what the truth is, but sometimes different people come up with similar ideas indepedently of one another. Just look at Dennis the Menace.
Nope, they had similar concepts because Paramount ripped of B5.
Straz pitched his show to multiple companies looking for financing, including Paramount 2 years before either show was made.
Mimbari were originally androgynous shapechangers in the pilot. Sound familiar? He changed the shapechanging to a tech device to avoid looking like he ripped off ST.
It was the only ST show before or since that took place on a space station rather than a ship.
It was the only ST show before or since where main characters genuinely and actively disliked each other.
Those are pretty core elements in both shows and B5 handed them to DS9 two years earlier.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
OK, what do you use it for?
The d30 is part of the regular dice chain in the Dungeon Crawl Classics game. The odds are against you ever needing to roll one (the normal action die is a regular d20, so to roll a d30 you'd need something to boost you up the chain by 2, from d20 to d24 to d30), but they are an official part of the game.

Remove ads