• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon 153 - Witching Season

Shroomy

Adventurer
I think the release of B. Matthew Conklin III's adventure "Witching Season" got lost in the DDXP shuffle, so I decided to start a discussion thread about it. You can download it here. It's an adventure for 6th level characters:

Intolerance abounds in the small village of Aurasburg. Its residents are simple and fearful -- and prone to burning any youngs women who show signs of magical ability.

Now a young half-elven orphan, the adopted daughter of a local craftswoman, has gone into hiding after a series of bizarre events has the townsfolk on a witch hunt. In pursuite of her whereabouts, however, signs emerge of a greater threat lurking in the swamp -- something that has been preying on the fears and superstitions of Aurasburg for year.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I just got finished reading it and I must admit, it's pretty darn good. Mob of skeletons, Useful! Alternate ogre stats? Check! Hags with levels instead of just standard fare? Super!

It will make an excellent alternate/interlude to a small section of Pathfinder #3, Hook Mountain Massacre.

-DM Jeff

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I liked this one. Good spooky atmosphere, hags with personalities and class levels...

Too bad I've already run a bunch of haggish themed games recently, for varying definitions of "recently".

Demiurge out.

Great Green God

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
I just got finished reading it and I must admit, it's pretty darn good. Mob of skeletons, Useful! Alternate ogre stats? Check! Hags with levels instead of just standard fare? Super!

It will make an excellent alternate/interlude to a small section of Pathfinder #3, Hook Mountain Massacre.

-DM Jeff
Thanks for the nice reviews folks - I always try to make my adventures atmospheric. Thanks for starting the thread Shoomy. And also thanks to Steve Greer for pointing it out to me. ;) If anyone has any questions or comments just drop them here, and I'll try to get back with answer (I'm in the middle of a project for Reality Deviants Publishing so it may take me a day or two).

Oh, and Demiurge you can always sub in yak folk for hags. In fact you can swap in yak folk for anything. ;)

Matt - Slave of the Inscrutable Ones

Last edited:

Great Green God

First Post
DM_Jeff said:

-DM Jeff

Yeah, my feeling is that if I'm going to have to stat out stuff like a basic ogres, undead, crocodiles, and hags anyway (as you must when writing Delvese) I might as well make them interesting and more plot-flavored. Besides who doesn't like a hag with a pack of wolves?

-Matt

Aeolius

Adventurer
Great Green God said:
Besides who doesn't like a hag with a pack of wolves?

Hrmm... hags with sea wolves... where's my pen? ;)
::Opens Nigel Findley's "Ecology of the Greenhag" in DRAGON #125 out for inspiration::

Remove ads