Dungeon 204 - The Ecology of the Swordwing

Zaukrie

New Publisher
You probably didn't see a thread, because most of us have given up on the "magazines". There are almost no threads about articles anymore, probably because there are so few articles now. W/o the character builder and monster builder, who would keep DDI at this point?

That said, I loved the concept and art, and I'll be stealing ideas from the article, thanks for writing it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the article and it changed my impression of swordwings. I had no intention of ever using them before but I think I will now.

All that said, I still have no idea why these are Epic threats... or how their queen can be a 30th-level solo. Epic threats should be threats to a world or a plane but these are just really high level magpies. Personally, I would use them around high Heroic or low Paragon: how do you, Shroomy, see them after writing the article?

(BTW, I really stress how much I enjoyed the article. I am just trying to get a handle on what is Epic about them.)

You probably didn't see a thread, because most of us have given up on the "magazines". There are almost no threads about articles anymore, probably because there are so few articles now. W/o the character builder and monster builder, who would keep DDI at this point? (snip)

Honestly, it's felt like that for at least a year now. See how few threads there are here. You can really see the unpopularity of 4E by the reduced traffic on this and other websites (and I say that as someone for whom 4E is my favourite edition).

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the article and it changed my impression of swordwings. I had no intention of ever using them before but I think I will now.

All that said, I still have no idea why these are Epic threats... or how their queen can be a 30th-level solo. Epic threats should be threats to a world or a plane but these are just really high level magpies. Personally, I would use them around high Heroic or low Paragon: how do you, Shroomy, see them after writing the article?

(BTW, I really stress how much I enjoyed the article. I am just trying to get a handle on what is Epic about them.)

I view swordwings as extremely powerful alien monsters that thankfully live in the remotest reaches of the Underdark; if they lived closer to civilization and if they weren't constantly distracted by their hoarding they'd be a dire threat (slaughtering entire cities is definitely in their wheel house). Also, they're powerful enough that they can take what they want from whomever they want whenever they want; crownwings and queens even more so. Imagine a queen that collects powerful artifacts or perhaps the heads of the most powerful kings of the surface world...

Remove ads