Release Dungeon 3D: The Ultimate 3D Virtual Tabletop!

Dungeon3D

Villager

Dungeon3D is a virtual tabletop program designed to work with any and all TTRPG or world building needs. It is compatible with DnD, Pathfinder, you name it, as long as you have the desire to create!

What Makes D3D Different?
There are dozens of VTTs and map building software out there, but most of it is expensive, bloated, hard to learn, lacking in 3D construction abilities, and weighty. D3D is only half a gig of space, runs on pretty much anything, and incredibly easy to use. From the moment you download, you can easily learn the system and have a gorgeous map up and ready for your next session within fifteen minutes or so. You can also share maps and character sheets with anyone else who has it, as well as upload your OWN mesh objects and share those! Customization and ease of use have been our priorities from the very start.

Maps
Dungeon3D allows the DM to build an endless assortment of personalized maps. The maps can either be hex or tile, and are grid-based to allow you to use them in real time, taking movement into account. Tiles can be easily changed to different textures, including various animated textures such as water and lava. You can raise and lower tiles to allow interesting height changes to your landscape. Grids can be as small as a tiny room, or as vast as 100x100 tiles to create entire city areas. A tile (or selection of tiles) can even have 'Fog of War' toggled on or off to obscure everything within them. Set your time of day dynamically, blackout the map so that players can truly only see as far as their own dark vision allows, and even toggle weather effects like snow or rain!

Objects
There are absolutely tons of objects you can place to build your map up. Houses and taverns, light posts, trees and bushes, benches and crates and boardwalks. Really, the only limit is what you can imagine. Aside from these basic items, there are FX objects. These are unique items with added features, like a burning campfire with real fire, or magic tokens you can use to mark a circle of flame or whatever else. All objects can be scaled, rotated, and shifted to your preference.

Player-Made Objects
Want to add your own mesh objects to D3D? Check your 'Mods' folder for instructions! It's incredibly easy. All you need is an FBX file with your mesh inside, and whatever associated textures you have. It's quite literally as easy as drag-and-drop.

Modular Building
Aside from the prefab objects, you can build your own structures. There are an assortment of modular walls that can be used to create maze-like dungeons or that one house you envision so perfectly in your mind. The textures of the walls can even be changed to suit your preference. We also have fantastic options for voxel building! If you've been looking to build your own sprawling caverns or a treacherous mountain pass, check out or numerous block shapes to build the terrain and structures of your dreams!

There are numerous character bases that can be used either for NPCs or the players themselves. Demons, wolves, humanoid warriors or casters and so on. These are fairly simple bases to allow you as much versatility as you like. Avatars can have their own names, weapons, physical appearance (customize!), status conditions, and dark vision (or none!). An avatar always belongs to the player who placed it, or the DM, and only that player and the DM have control if it.

Aside from the usual method of choosing avatars, you can custom create your own modular avatars in the Avatar Studio, and save them as presets to place on any map, any time. They operate just the same as regular avatars, but allow for a huge range of customization!

Initiative Tracker
DMs always have access to the Initiative Tracker. You can add or remove as many slots as you like, give them notes, and organize the tracker based on initiative. This is an incredibly hand tool for any DM!

Character Sheets
Players and DMs can make as many character sheets as they like. We currently have Pathfinder 1e and DnD 5e sheets (with partial automation for calculations). Sheets are always stored on the owner's account and can be accessed regardless if you're in a session or not! Sheets can also easily be shared by sending a copy of your sheet (in your 'Saved' folder) to anyone who has Dungeon 3D. All they need to do is throw it into their own folder to see and use it.

Dice Rolling
Dungeon3D has a built-in dice rolling system. Pick how many dice, what kind, and whatever bonus. The system can even account for negatives. So for example, you can easily roll 3D6 + 5 (or -5) with the click of a button. Everyone will see the roll. Nat 20s are of course lit up!

Network
Built to run on the Steam network, all you need to join an online game is a Steam account. Just click 'host' to start a game up, or 'search' to look for a game to join. DM is always the host, and has full control over who can play and what they can do.

Real-Time Map Saves
Maps can either be built offline or during gameplay. Any change to a map is always saved, regardless online or offline. If your map has changed during gameplay as the players have gone about their campaign, the next time you load it, everything will be precisely where you left off. Maps can easily be shared between users by simply downloading a map file and tossing it into your WorldMaps folder.

Last edited:

Dungeon3D

Villager
Hello folks!

I'm part of a group who's been playing TTRPGs together for about six years now. We've mainly played Pathfinder, but we also play DnD and a few unique homebrew games. My DM had been looking for a VTT for a while that was simple and easy to use, where you could make your maps and also host your sessions. I'm a game developer by trade so I figured I'd give it a shot at making one, and that's what this is.

Initially we only used it for our own game, but the group really liked it and pushed me to refine the system and make it public, and that's where we are now. There are a ton of VTTs out there, but a lot of them felt clunky, too hard to use, bloated, or like they were replacing the DM with the system itself. Overuse of automation that was often wrong was a common issue.

This system is very different. The purpose is to be used as a tool for the DM, throw in some fun flavor like little animations and avatar customization, and make it super easy and streamlined. It's only half a gig of space, and you can pretty much load it up with zero experience, throw together a map and host your session in about fifteen minutes. That said, it allows for extremely rich and in-depth maps, it just depends on how far you want to go. You don't need a beefy computer to build gorgeous forest scenes or sprawling cities, and it's heavily optimized.

We're releasing on Steam on October 3rd. Ten bucks, no microtransactions or subscriptions or anything like that. All DLC options will be free. If you're interested, give it a wish list!

Dungeon3D

Villager
D3D Will be releasing on Steam tomorrow! We're also going to be coming out with our first DLC. ALL DLC will always be free!

0002.png

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm going to want better looking avatar I bet..... But maybe we'll get this and review it... Been meaning to compare talespire and mirrorscape on my channel, can add this....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm going to want better looking avatar I bet..... But maybe we'll get this and review it... Been meaning to compare talespire and mirrorscape on my channel, can add this....
Ya, the "minis" don't do it for me at all.....too bad. I keep hoping for a good, affordable, 3d tool .... I don't need a full on VTT, DndBeyond can handle most of the stats and rolls....I just want a good, easy, mapping tool that looks good. Good luck with this!

Ya, the "minis" don't do it for me at all.....too bad. I keep hoping for a good, affordable, 3d tool .... I don't need a full on VTT, DndBeyond can handle most of the stats and rolls....I just want a good, easy, mapping tool that looks good. Good luck with this!

I think the minis look charming, I don't get what your gripe is. You say you don't need a VTT, but you come in and checks notes comment on a thread that literally has VTT in the title.

You say you want a good, affordable 3D tool but you turn your nose up when one comes your way. I don't get this kind of mentality of 'I don't like this, I'm going to tell this person that I don't like this'. It took more energy to type this than to decide it's not for you, say nothing, and move on.

Either way, cool program, OP, hope it works out for you and your team. I gave you a wishlist and will be getting this on pay day. Thanks for making something cool.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think the minis look charming, I don't get what your gripe is. You say you don't need a VTT, but you come in and checks notes comment on a thread that literally has VTT in the title.

You say you want a good, affordable 3D tool but you turn your nose up when one comes your way. I don't get this kind of mentality of 'I don't like this, I'm going to tell this person that I don't like this'. It took more energy to type this than to decide it's not for you, say nothing, and move on.

Either way, cool program, OP, hope it works out for you and your team. I gave you a wishlist and will be getting this on pay day. Thanks for making something cool.
I have several videos reviewing this type of tool, and was interested.... Then I wasn't. If they make standees that I can control the art, I'm very interested. Most VTT don't really support full rule sets, not small ones like this. They are best used to show the scene and handle movement. I'm not sure your point, really. I'm offering feedback on what would get me to but their product....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Oh boy.

Well I appreciate you having a look, sorry it isn't your flavor!

We're releasing tomorrow (we had a bit of a hiccup with Steam) and I can't wait to see folks playing!
Good luck! I'm rooting for you. Maybe I'll take a look, it isn't that much money.

Remove ads