Dungeon idea - a forgotten prison for dragons built by aberrations

It's a bit too fantastical for my tastes. I like that the issue of feeding these dragons was addressed, since that's a major reason why you could never actually keep a dragon imprisoned, but it seems like it would have been less effort to just kill them all. Maybe I missed the part explaining that.

Other than that, and the part about "liquid psychic energy", it seems pretty neat! I might actually borrow some of it for my home game, although probably switching in a lich or vampire instead of dragons.

Jimbro

Explorer
It's a bit too fantastical for my tastes. I like that the issue of feeding these dragons was addressed, since that's a major reason why you could never actually keep a dragon imprisoned, but it seems like it would have been less effort to just kill them all. Maybe I missed the part explaining that.

Other than that, and the part about "liquid psychic energy", it seems pretty neat! I might actually borrow some of it for my home game, although probably switching in a lich or vampire instead of dragons.

Thanks for your reply.

Well the idea is that many aberrations and all dragons are intelligent, so they wouldn't just kill each other. They'd interrogate prisoners for information and also ransom and brainwash dragons. They need a place to hold them while they're doing that, hence the prisons!

Jimbro

Explorer
You're going to offend some PCs with a comment like that.

Anyway, this video shows a dragon prison from Skyrim in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEDfeKOw5eY

And you might post your material here on ENworld, since linking to blogs was a ToS violation, last I checked.

I actually don't think it is a term of service violation? Morrus has commented on a few of my posts and never said anything. Though I know in the sticky READ BEFORE POSTING it says he PREFERS a direct post of material instead of a link in case the link expires, he calls out that it's not actually a rule. I would post it directly, but it's a fair amount of reformatting work and I've already put about 4 hours or so into writing the blog post.

Painfully

First Post
There is only one reason...to try to take over the world!

Well, obviously the aberrations were trying to experiment and transform the dragons into aberrations themselves. Perhaps a dragon/aberration hybrid to rule the skies as well as the ground? Perhaps they've evolved a kind of zombie dragon that is mind-controlled by a parasite-like aberration?

Stolen liberally from Starship troopers, and zombie ants, and Pinky and the Brain.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If aberrations wanted/were imprisoning dragons...first thing that comes to my mind is, "They turn 'em into humans." (or, more fun, maybe, human children!)

Instant deprivation of their breath weapons, physical mass/strength, ability to fly. Not to mention the psychological trauma of being denied/stripped of their supreme power and beauty of their "dragon-ness."

Take up LOTS less space. If you ruled they still had a dragon's metabolism/could survive long periods without food...maybe only have to feed them once every couple of months (want to keep their human-physical forms on the weak side, as well, of course) but when they are fed, only human-sized amounts are needed. Existing for ages, barely alive.

PCs think they're rescuing hapless human victims/slaves of the aberrations only to find they've just released several dozen dragons into the world..."What? Block D is empty? Dang. That was all our blues n' coppers! Seal the gates! Total lockdown!!!"

Remove ads