• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Master's Kit is redundant

Aegeri

First Post
The DMs kit isn't redundant because of the rules compendium, it's redundant because of the two previous and arguably far superior DMGs released earlier.

BobTheNob

First Post
We got em all, and the approach has actually worked. The books sit in the middle of the table. I make a decision, player pipes up and disputes. I direct him to find the backing evidence in the rules compendium whilst I keep the game going.

Its much easier to find what you are looking for and they can generally find it within an agreeable time span. If he was right, I reverse my decision.

Point of the rules compendium is its concise enough that information can be found during game time. A very important feature

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The DMs kit isn't redundant because of the rules compendium, it's redundant because of the two previous and arguably far superior DMGs released earlier.

I'm pretty sure WotC said all along that the DM kit was for new DMs, not those who already had the previous DMs.

Though I suppose WotC acknowledging that it is redundant does not make it any less redundant.

Aegeri

First Post
That is true, but they could just justified its ENTIRE existence simply by putting the updated monster creation rules and guidelines in it. That they didn't bother is absolutely staggering and requires many DMs to pretty much buy the DMG/DMG2 anyway. Then again don't listen to me, what I think Wizards should do is clearly not what happens anymore.

Natespank

First Post
It's more precise to say that the Rules Compendium is redundant, and that it repeats information printed elsewhere.

Legitimate point. However, the Rules Compendium is so darn convenient to reference from. I prefer it. "All in one place."

As for the adventures- I'd rather actually buy adventures. I wasn't aiming to buy a 2 part adventure- I wanted a DM's guide. I'm intrigued enough to read them more in depth now, but that's not the point of the kit.

DM screen rocks. Tokens are nice, but all you really need are 1-2 sheets total: you can equip the whole party with miniatures and enemies for less than $40 at a hobby store. I'd prefer to just spend 5-10 on a DM screen- or to have the info suggested in the DMG so I could make my own according to their advice.

The traps are nice, but there's sure not many of them. It's more of a teaser book for traps. Why not just replace the book with a DM's resource book: magic items, traps, creature creation rules- stuff not found elsewhere, and in significant supply?

Like I said, redundant. I'm sad.

Shocking number of replies thusfar.

S'mon

Legend
Looking what books to use for my resumed campaign; I'll be taking Essentials: Rules Compendium, Monster Vault, and Heroes of the Fallen Lands (for basic equipment & magic items, and to help newbies make PCs), plus Adventurer's Vault for the piles of magic items.

DJINNIMAN

First Post
DM screen rocks. Tokens are nice, but all you really need are 1-2 sheets total: you can equip the whole party with miniatures and enemies for less than $40 at a hobby store.
I'd love to know where you are finding your minis. Just the PC minis alone for my group cost more than $20.

Locutus Zero

First Post
Legitimate point. However, the Rules Compendium is so darn convenient to reference from. I prefer it. "All in one place."

As for the adventures- I'd rather actually buy adventures. I wasn't aiming to buy a 2 part adventure- I wanted a DM's guide. I'm intrigued enough to read them more in depth now, but that's not the point of the kit.

DM screen rocks. Tokens are nice, but all you really need are 1-2 sheets total: you can equip the whole party with miniatures and enemies for less than $40 at a hobby store. I'd prefer to just spend 5-10 on a DM screen- or to have the info suggested in the DMG so I could make my own according to their advice.

The traps are nice, but there's sure not many of them. It's more of a teaser book for traps. Why not just replace the book with a DM's resource book: magic items, traps, creature creation rules- stuff not found elsewhere, and in significant supply?

Like I said, redundant. I'm sad.

Shocking number of replies thusfar.

The kit comes with a book aimed at new DMs who don't own the DMG, tokens for the players and for every monster in the adventure, a DM screen, and a 2-part adventure made to be very friendly to new DMs (even referencing pages in the DMB). You didn't want most of the tokens, the book, or the adventure. It sounds like the product was not targeted at you. They do sell a DM screen separately. As a new DM, I got plenty of value from this kit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads