• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Tiles Master Sets - Not a good deal?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I bought nearly every set of tiles, so I do not see much use for this set for myself, but I think it is a great idea for people who just started collecting/using them.

I especially like that the first set has both indoors and outdoors tiles.

Now, if the GM rewards ships can just make it into one of the sets........

Scribble

First Post
I think also, since it's a "never going away" set you trade the ability to pay a little less, for the ability to buy it whenever you get around to it, and not during the period it's available.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I noticed that the Dungeon Tile Master Sets are going to have 10 sheets of tiles for $19.99. Since the regular sets are $9.99 for 6 sheets, doesn't this mean we are getting less for more?
The msrp for Desert of Athas, as well as future sets, seems to be $11.95. That works out to about $2 per sheet either way.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The msrp for Desert of Athas, as well as future sets, seems to be $11.95. That works out to about $2 per sheet either way.

Ironically, this means it's now cheaper at amazon.com. :D

Products $9.95 and less are not usually discounted, while products over $9.99 are usually discounted by at least 20%.

So, when the tiles were a list of $9.99 we paid $9.99 at amazon, but now, at $11.99, we pay $8.60 (with the 28% off discount).

Ha!

CrimsonReaver

First Post
For those people who missed out on earlier tile sets - because they couldn't afford them at the time, didn't know about them, weren't playing D&D at the time, or whatever - I'm sure paying that little extra to WotC, despite getting that little less in product, for secure knowledge that these tiles will always be available seems like a steal compared to what the secondary market sodomites charge for out-of-print stuff.

Cor_Malek

First Post
Also, is it not many pieces from previously out-of-print sets? That, alone, would be worth it to me. I missed out on Hall of the Giant kings; so I'd gladly pay the $20 if a few of those sheets were HotGK.

People who didn't buy the tiles back in the day pay a bit more to get access to some older stuff? Not horrible, in my opinion.

Besides, with a border's coupon, this will likely come to about the cost of a regular set of 3D tiles for me. I'll probably buy 2-3 if they're any good.

Wait, what? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of sticking with what was done right, but doesn't that mean the design cost should be out? As in done? Not-have-to-pay-for-it-again type of situation? Cheaper?

That said - I recon that cash should go to people who know what to do with it. Nothing wrong with capitalizing off repackage, if it means they have to design some crunch every now and then.
It's a big operation, and every low-cost / high-profit module pays for core books that are high cost / low profit. It's not a charitable organization.

Jhaelen

First Post
Wait, what? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of sticking with what was done right, but doesn't that mean the design cost should be out? As in done? Not-have-to-pay-for-it-again type of situation? Cheaper?
Sorry, nope. Prices are mostly controlled by supply and demand. The important thing is what the customers are willing to pay, not production costs.

Considering the old tile sets are currently offered for 100-200$ by some sellers, these sets will be a bargain.

Scribble

First Post
I'm sure if they priced it cheaper, they'd also then end up with people "waiting until it comes out in the master set."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads