D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons 3 Movie Trailer

Big Mac

Explorer
There are already a million terrible generic fantasy films. Why make one called Dungeons & Dragons unless it represents the game as actually played? I don't want to see generic human bad guys, huge pitched battles, or love interests. I want to see five PCs fighting a displacer beast in a cave somewhere. I want to see the characters perform a full cavity search on their slain opponents to recover every last copper piece. I want to see the Shrine of the Kuo-toa or the Slave Pits of the Undercity. And I want to see the PCs bickering over minutiae.

Dungeons & Dragons is merely a game engine. I want to see a movie about a campaign setting. What is wrong about the first two films is that they don't take advantage of all the great lore that has been built up for the various settings, and instead the D&D movies create a new setting. There has been some talk at The Piazza about the setting of the first two movies. I'm still wondering if Book of Vile Darkness is supposed to be set on the same world.

I want to see an intro like Game of Thrones has, that shows the map of a fantasy world and I want to see a fairly faithful adaptation of a known story like Peter Jackson did.

I'd love to see some iconic stuff added in as background detail, like a CGI version of the City of Greyhawk, The Tears of Selune, Solamnic Knight armour and other details that a fan would recognise (alongside a stonkingly good plot of course).

There are a number of good stories in D&D. I thought that the animated Dragonlance movie was not as bad as it was made out to be and think that Chronicles could be made into a really great trillogy of films, given the right director. The story is a bit similar to Lord of the Rings, in parts, but Chronicles has the main characters riding dragons at times, and that would be a great excuse for great special effects shots (showing both the dragons and the countryside of Ansalon). In fact, Chronicles could ride on LotR's coat-tails, by using the Massive software to help make the big battles work.

Forgotten Realms is one of the biggest D&D campaign settings, and I know a lot of people would want to see a Drizzt film. But one story I would personally like to see brought to the screen is Blades of the Moonsea, because that trilogy has both a Spelljammer side-trek and a Planescape side-trek that would show Toril in the context of the D&D Multiverse. Many D&D worlds look superficially similar to other fantasy worlds (at first glance) but these bits would be a great way to show something non-standard.

I don't know I'm not interested in a pure dungeon crawling movie. I hate it at my table, so I won't pay for such a thing.

I think that a lot of dungeon crawls are fairly relentless (combat, combat, combat) and that what you need in a film is variety. Dungeons really need to have a "personality" to be something that the viewers can think of as an antagonist (rather than just be a character eating machine). Perhaps Undermountain might work if you could sell the story of it.

Also making a D&D movie is quite hard since everybody has a different opinion on what makes D&D, so unless they go for an adaptation of a novel series I don't think it will work.

Yep. We should not be having D&D moview. We should be having a Forgotten Realms movie a Greyhawk movie and a Dragonlance movie. As prices lower, WotC should be going down the line of IPs and making a movie for each one.

Even something that seems to be unpopular, like Jakandor, could work as a low budget movie, with the right script. Imagine a Conan-like figure fighting undead. People that like zombie movies might like a film like that. And it could, of course, throw in the twist of a good guy character that gets killed and then brought back as an undead bad guy.

Do you know how to make an ass-kicking D&D movie?! Bring Vin F'ing Diessel and make him star AND direct it. He has stated before that he is a D&D fan. Also, he was on the design team of those Riddik games that got very good reviews.

Vin Diesel with a bad script would still be bad. He would need to be able to choose the story. If they gave him the cash and told him to pick his favourite D&D novel, that might work.

But, to be honest, I think that Paizo should snap him up and get him to make a Pathfinder movie.

Other than that, yeah, make a good Drizzt movie and watch the nerds give you money (Myself included!).

They could probably turn Drizzt into a TV series that runs for 10 years. That might earn them more money.

I would rather watch Krull til my eyes bled than whatever the hell that piece of garbage is.

Krull has some pretty good bits. If it had been given a bit of a rewrite, it could have been brilliant.

Even the worst D&D Movie is better than Dragon. That film was so awful (and not funny awful) that I've went to the effort of putting a review up on Amazon.co.uk to try to stop anyone else wasting their money on it.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Dear god I was hoping it was a prank. I mean, Syfy did just have "Piranhaconda" so it's not like another D&D movie wouldn't continue the trend of crappy movies.
It is like SyFy is trying to outdo D&D in the stupid monster department.

Hell, they ought to run an week long A-Z Monster Manual Movie Marathon leading up into the premiere of D&D3:BOVD. Their own films cover most of the alphabet.

• Abominable
  • Anacondas: Trail of Blood
  • Baal: The Storm God
  • Basilisk: The Serpent King
  • Bats: Human Harvest
  • Behemoth
  • Book of Beasts
  • Cerberus
  • Cyclops
  • Deadly Swarm
  • Dog Soldiers
  • Dragon Fighter
  • Earthstorm
  • Fire Serpent
  • Gargoyles: Wings of Darkness
  • Ghost Voyage
  • Ghouls
  • Grendel
  • Gryphon
  • Harpies
  • Headless Horesman
  • Ice Spiders
  • Jabberwock
  • Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep
  • Larva
  • Locusts: The 8th Plague
  • Mammoth
  • Mansquito
  • Manticore
  • Mega Snake
  • Minotaur
  • Monster Ark
  • Ogre
  • Phantom Force
  • Pterodactyl
  • Python II
  • Raptor Island
  • Reign of the Gargoyles
  • Riddles of the Sphinx
  • Rock Monster
  • Sabretooth
  • Sasquatch Mountain
  • The Snake King
  • Soulkeeper
  • Supergator
  • Swamp Devil
  • Vipers
  • Wraiths of Roanoke
  • Wyvern
  • Yeti
  • Zombie Apocalypse

Last edited:

fuzzyhobbit

First Post
Reading the synopsis on the YouTube page, I am curious to see what they mean by demons and how they do a Mind Flayer. Of course, the chance that the Flayer is done well is very slim.

For those who want to see a good D&D story, grab yourself a copy of the first series of the anime Record of the Lodoss War. It's based on a Japanese knockoff of Basic D&D and the party consists of a Fighter, a Mage, a Thief, a Cleric, an Elf, and a Dwarf. It is worth watching. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Record-Lodoss-War-Complete-Collectors/dp/B000063K2F]Amazon.com: Record of Lodoss War - The Complete Series (Collector's Edition): Takeshi Kusao, Yumi Tôma, Yoshisada Sakaguchi, Kappei Yamaguchi, Hideyuki Tanaka, Norio Wakamoto, Takeshi Aono, Bob Barry, Fûrin Cha, Meg Frances, Rica Fukami, Simone G[/ame]

And, I second the notion of a Planescape: Torment film. But first, let's get an HD or 3D remake of the game. They are doing it with Baldur's Gate, why not Torment?

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Reading the synopsis on the YouTube page, I am curious to see what they mean by demons and how they do a Mind Flayer. Of course, the chance that the Flayer is done well is very slim.

For those who want to see a good D&D story, grab yourself a copy of the first series of the anime Record of the Lodoss War. It's based on a Japanese knockoff of Basic D&D and the party consists of a Fighter, a Mage, a Thief, a Cleric, an Elf, and a Dwarf. It is worth watching. Amazon.com: Record of Lodoss War - The Complete Series (Collector's Edition): Takeshi Kusao, Yumi Tôma, Yoshisada Sakaguchi, Kappei Yamaguchi, Hideyuki Tanaka, Norio Wakamoto, Takeshi Aono, Bob Barry, Fûrin Cha, Meg Frances, Rica Fukami, Simone G

And, I second the notion of a Planescape: Torment film. But first, let's get an HD or 3D remake of the game. They are doing it with Baldur's Gate, why not Torment?
I'll second the recommendation for Records of Lodoss War. The first episode is kind of an in media res standalone that chronologically fits between the 6th and 7th episode (iirc).

As for a good story, anyone who makes a D&D movie will be doing so on a budget, so you have to move away from the epic stuff, and save your FX budget for the money shot (Solomon Kane did this remarkably well). Take an old school adventure such as Village of Hommlet, or Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and work from that.

Big Mac

Explorer

I was pretty impressed with Flint Dille's Mind Flayer: :cool:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHGz5r-b1do"]From Wildspace[/ame]
I actually wrote to him and asked him if he had the full 30 minute version. B-)

Firebeetle

Explorer
Check the trailer against this one for an Elfquest fan flick. There's no comparison, one is amazingly better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0UwOhE5srDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My understanding is that Gary sold the rights himself, outright, during his "Gary goes to Hollywood" phase. Unlike modern rights agreements, this one has no time limit. Armadillo Games enjoys a similar agreement for making games with the original Star Trek franchise.

Courtney Solomon, shopping his script for many years, finally got a green light to make the first movie. Joel Silver, producer, has held on to the rights and now we have two movies made because enough of us will force ourselves to watch it anyway, like eating overcooking broccoli, out of some sense of duty. Case in point, the number of posters who saw the second movie even though we all knew better.

Should Hasbro get those rights back? Absolutely. Right after this movie would be the time to do it, as the value will be decreased after such an obviously horrible film.

For the record, there are some redeeming qualities to both movies. I thought the second one, although a fairly rotten movie, would have made a decent pilot for a TV show. The first movie has one redeeming line, from Snails no less, "Who broke into the halfling's house? Who was beaten from the waist down?" That is a good line, but the rest of the movie was awful. Jeremy Irons spoke of it, saying, "Some things you just do for the money."

I've got a treatment for a Drizzt movie script, but you're not going to like it. I feel the original story is not highly filmable. No romantic subplot and the pacing is very off for a film. Any movie that would get a green light would have to fix many problems, and fanboys hate people meddling with their story. Having said all that, Vin Diesel would make an incredible Zaknefarian.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
If only there was someone Wizards could contact to turn the Fell's Five comics into some kind of movie. But where would they find a good screenwriter familiar with D&D in general and those characters in particular? :hmm:

Drowbane

First Post
Record of Lodoss War (as mentioned above) was a great animated D&D-inspired flick. I remember RoLW marathons with my 2e group.

The Gamers is a better "D&D Movie" than any/all of the actual D&D Movies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases