WotC Dungeons & Dragons Fans Seek Removal of Oriental Adventures From Online Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadras

Legend
Outcry on social media is easy and free. Fighting the problem where it really is, it's much harder and costs time and effort.

Jon Stewart referred to it as window dressing.

I'm actually waiting for them to call out Mystara - no other D&D setting has taken as much inspiration from real world cultures than the Known World.

Reynard

Legend
I think it is worth noting for some in this thread that there is not a call for restricting or eliminating elements related to the history and mythology of the East. What is being called for is to treat that material and the cultures that spawned that material with respect, which Oriental Adventures the book has some difficulty with. So, no, there is no threat of censorship here, nor is there a double standard regarding ethnically European versus non-European material. There is absolutely a place for Asian-influenced fantasy (along with African influenced fantasy and Middle Eastern influenced fantasy and so on).

But Orientalism is real and is harmful. Exoticism is real and is harmful. OA was created is influenced farm more by Western failures to understand Japanese and Chinese culture than by those cultures themselves, coming off a decade or so of Asian exploitation in entertainment. The book trades on racially insensitive stereotypes, and it is self evident that it does so.

No one is saying there should not be Asian influenced fantasy in D&D. They are saying it should be implemented with respect.

G

Guest 6801328

I suppose it's good that the concerns of various groups are being considered, but honestly my favorite part of events like this is seeing entitled white guys turn purple with rage and scream about the sky falling.

/popcorn

Voadam

Legend
I think it is worth noting for some in this thread that there is not a call for restricting or eliminating elements related to the history and mythology of the East. What is being called for is to treat that material and the cultures that spawned that material with respect, which Oriental Adventures the book has some difficulty with. So, no, there is no threat of censorship here

The literal request is to remove the book from sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads