WotC Dungeons & Dragons Fans Seek Removal of Oriental Adventures From Online Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is the same stupid argument made by the pro-confederate statues people. Getting rid of something that is offensive isn't "erasing history", it's just admitting you did something/portrayed something in an offensive manner, and apologizing for it.

That is not the same at all. That is a shameful analogy.

Confederate statutes are public displays. They are put up on public grounds, and they served a certain purpose (a terrible purpose that I will not go into due to site rules).

The people that are honored by governments (and hence, all of us) with statues is not, in any way, shape, or form, the same as attempting to get rid of prior books.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Career librarian here.
9 copies of OA (3e) available in libraries across the U.S. IL: Chillicothe Pub Lib; IN: Allen Co Pub Lib, Marian University; OH: Barberton Pub Lib, Columbus Metro Pub Lib, Washington-Centerville, Wittenberg Univ; VA: Amherst Co, Roanoke Co.
23 copies of OA (1e) available in libraries.
Our Interlibrary Loan process usually takes between 1-2 weeks.

The book is available, even in hard copy, if you want it enough.
My guess of "very few" was correct, it seems: out of the hundreds if not thousands of libraries in the US, 1e OA is available in 23.

Still, good to know any D&D books have found their way into public libraries anywhere - not something I'd have really expected.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That is not the same at all. That is a shameful analogy.

Confederate statutes are public displays. They are put up on public grounds, and they served a certain purpose (a terrible purpose that I will not go into due to site rules).

The people that are honored by governments (and hence, all of us) with statues is not, in any way, shape, or form, the same as attempting to get rid of prior books.
Prior books from nearly-nonplayed editions that contain offensive themes.

It is the same. You guys are saying "It's erasing history" the same way that pro-confederates are. You don't erase history by removing statues or taking down books. History is in museums and history books, in which D&D books will probably never be mentioned in.

Retreater

Legend
My guess of "very few" was correct, it seems: out of the hundreds if not thousands of libraries in the US, 1e OA is available in 23.

Still, good to know any D&D books have found their way into public libraries anywhere - not something I'd have really expected.
My library carries a few (all 5e). But then again, there's a D&D fan ordering the books. ;)

Bawylie

A very OK person
Also amusing: the same people who keep defending this content as "just a make-believe fantasy game about imaginary people" also claim that it's "erasing history" to stop selling it.
A lot of reasoning is motivated reasoning. That’s okay. But it means that appeals to logic or reason won’t be effective. Try to find the value the motivated reasoner is defending/espousing and see whether they can be reached that way instead. I mean, if you’re interested in understanding or persuading.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just as a note, folks, we are aware that there are some ‘long time’ posters who pretty much only post on the forums in order to object when they get a whiff of a hint of inclusivity; they don’t tend to participate otherwise, or talk about RPGs otherwise on this site. If you’re one of those people who only pop up in this type of thread, we’ll likely be asking you to leave in the near future.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Also amusing: the same people who keep defending this content as "just a make-believe fantasy game about imaginary people" also claim that it's "erasing history" to stop selling it.
Yeah. Extremely hypocritical.

Honest question to all of you complaining about this: Were you going to buy it? Do you even still play those editions? What's the big deal?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Here you go: ...snip...

Free, online, for anybody to find.

Illegally.

I mean, I suspect someone still owns the copyright to the contents of that book, despite its being out of print.

Mod Edit:Next time you complain about someone linking to copyrighted materials.. don't include the link in your own post too! ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

I would personally propose a bit of a 'Harry Potter approach'. Do cede terms to 'them' (here: oriental - there: Voldemort). If a racist wants to be derogatory towards someone, they will, and they will find words. But let the problem be the racist's actions, his attitude, his demeanor. Don't settle the weight on an (at least in this case) neutrally descriptive word. That only strengthens THEIR arsenal of words and shrinks OUR ability to use colorful, poetic descriptive languages.
(Disclaimer: I generally prefer to stay away from the decisive 'us vs. them' mind set.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases