WotC Dungeons & Dragons Fans Seek Removal of Oriental Adventures From Online Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
But your articles don't justify racism or imperialistic behavior (though I only have a vague idea vague idea what you mean by the latter).

I remember reading a book from my university library arguing that the Greeks originated in England. The author wrote 360 pages to justify his claim, yet failed miserably. To my estimation, anyone trying to justify racism using bad charicatures, as you call them, is riding the same ship.

o_O

The articles are supposed to justify racism or imperialistic behavior. They describe how that such charactures and woeful reductions have been used to justify such behavor. That's the legacy of these tropes that they can't be disentagled from. If you don't know what I mean about imperialistic behavior, read this, this, and this. Even now white nationalists and white supremacists contine to use these old stereotypes, tropes, and psuedo-science to justify their worldviews.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think the better question to delve into now is why one group is offended and the other is not.
Actually, I don't think that's the better question at all. And, really, that's up to the Asan American community to discuss and decide for themselves.

o_O

The articles are supposed to justify racism or imperialistic behavior. They describe how that such charactures and woeful reductions have been used to justify such behavor. That's the legacy of these tropes that they can't be disentagled from. If you don't know what I mean about imperialistic behavior, read this, this, and this. Even now white nationalists and white supremacists contine to use these old stereotypes, tropes, and psuedo-science to justify their worldviews.

But those old stereotypes, tropes, and psuedo-science do not justify anything true about the world.

Because not all people think alike.
Asians are told to bear it. Not rock the boat. That is shite.

I'm not telling anyone to bear anything. Not all people think alike is not terribly illuminating. Perhaps each groups has specific hypotheses and propositions that justify offended or not. It is useful to compare those hypotheses and propositions to determine which (if any) are grounded in fact.

Actually, I don't think that's the better question at all. And, really, that's up to the Asan American community to discuss and decide for themselves.

Is there an Asian American community? Are they a single body? Can they discuss propositions and make decisions as a single cohesive unit? Personally, I'm not convinced of that.

Sadras

Legend
I'm not telling anyone to bear anything.

No the respectful @Xenonnonex implied that the reason those Asians who did not offer the same view as the offended Asians was because they were told to bear it and not rock the boat, thus their opinions were not of outrage.

This informs us that @Xenonnonex believes:
1. All Asian Americans should, if not have, the same opinion.
2. Differing opinions from Asians Americans are due to them being told to bear it and not rock the boat. They felt the need to conform.
3. All Asian Americans have the same experiences.

EDIT: And then you get the complaint that Gygax and co did a pastiche of all asian cultures to produce OA meanwhile you have a poster painting all AA with one really broad brush.

I'm not telling anyone to bear anything. Not all people think alike is not terribly illuminating. Perhaps each groups has specific hypotheses and propositions that justify offended or not. It is useful to compare those hypotheses and propositions to determine which (if any) are grounded in fact.
No. That is how they are raised. As immigrants. I have witnessed this. Some friends have told me this. Anecdotal. But it seems to be cultural. Ingrained. Not to make waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases