• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons III?!?

nikolai

First Post
This is old news, but I haven't seem it discussed here. Possibly because of stunned silence.

Dungeons & Dragons III has been greenlit. Yes, I know, I can't think why either? Dungeons & Dragons II is in still post production. And for some reason they're keeping very quite about the details. The third film stars Bruce Payne as the baddie who we now know doesn't die at the end of the second film (sorry to spoil it for you all).

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16336

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
nikolai said:
This is old news, but I haven't seem it discussed here. Possibly because of stunned silence.

Dungeons & Dragons III has been greenlit. Yes, I know, I can't think why either? Dungeons & Dragons II is in still post production. And for some reason they're keeping very quite about the details. The third film stars Bruce Payne as the baddie who we now know doesn't die at the end of the second film (sorry to spoil it for you all).

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16336
There is no hope for this franchise...no hope....no hope....*walks away with the gloom overhead*

Krug

Newshound
They're probably shotting it at the same time. I think they want to make the actors commit before they see the movie..;)

nikolai

First Post
They're not shooting it at the same time (shooting's finished on II, and hasn't started on III). D&DII is slated for a cinema release next year, this is a serious attempt at a franchise. Surely they must be aware of the universal derision the first film, and anouncement of the second film was met with? They are calling the actors back, you may well be on to something with regards to them getting the actors to sign the contracts before they could see the second film.

Zulithe

Explorer
I really hope the creative people behind these films (II and III) at least TRY to find out what D&D fans think of the franchise. The way it's going, this will end up being the worst fantasy trilogy of all time unless significant changes are made. Just because it is low-budget doesn't mean it has to be crap (look at all the excellent indie movies out there).

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I saw the first movie because I felt it my professional duty to see it. I sat through it. Once. I have no intention of doing it again. Ever.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
thalmin said:
I saw the first movie because I felt it my professional duty to see it. I sat through it. Once. I have no intention of doing it again. Ever.

Holey!!! Hey, we have a vet here, give him/her a solider's pay :D

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Zulithe said:
I really hope the creative people behind these films (II and III) at least TRY to find out what D&D fans think of the franchise. The way it's going, this will end up being the worst fantasy trilogy of all time unless significant changes are made. Just because it is low-budget doesn't mean it has to be crap (look at all the excellent indie movies out there).

Search for Knight Fall 1972, he ran an entire thread dealing with D&D2 production.

As for creative people, I believe it was reported that some Wotc people were there on the set for D&D2, but nothing more came of it(besides the fact, they were to help in whatever capacity).

As for the worst...hmmmm, how to put it, yes...it is, and has been from the first, to the fact now, that D&D3 is pre-production, with D&D2 done in production, there has been no release of film shots, no staff interviews...nothing, and nothing.

That does not bode well from the start.

Budget was small, under 20 mil. last heard.

And now to the point why, the D&D movie has a problem in choosing a setting...there is just too much out there, I will not named them all, I believe that everyone is quitely aware of what is out there.

I know, everyone has their favorite, but it is a hassle in the selection, and if it was possible from me, I would sell the rights of each one to different studios. Who are interested of course.

But again, that will not happen, cause the brand is under one title only, and mercy, unless someone here, who is well to do...turns around and buy back the rights...don't expect a miracle to happen...wait...unless PJ and New Line Cinema happen by chance....NAAAAAhhhhh.

A fool's dream...and a nightmare to the true fans, who must suffer at the failings of those, who cannot go pass the borders of their limited imagination.

I saw the first one, with a opened mind...guess who closed it?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Though I'm a fan of Forgotten Realms, I'd like to see Greyhawk in motion picture. That setting is gettting a bum rap these days. They should have gone with that instead of Courtney Solomon's homebrewed setting.

More importantly, put them in a real dungeon this time around. I'm not asking for something as grand as Moria, but at least shouldn't be a mini-dungeon inside a thieves guild.

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Though I'm a fan of Forgotten Realms, I'd like to see Greyhawk in motion picture. That setting is gettting a bum rap these days. They should have gone with that instead of Courtney Solomon's homebrewed setting.

I'm still hoping to see a Dragonlance movie one of these days.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads