D&D 5E Dungeons, Mayhem, and Dice Accessories: A Review

To go with the official release of Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus (my review will be released shortly), Wizards of the Coast is releasing a few accessories. As with some other recent books, like Tomb of Annihilation and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica, a dice set is one of them, but Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus Dice and Miscellany is more than a few polyhedrals.
dnd-baldurs-gate-descent-into-avernus-top-1172371.jpeg
The dice look really good in a deep burgundy bordering on bronze/brown pattern swirled with gold and gold numbers. The set contains 11 dice – the standard seven plus three additional d6s for those who prefer the 4d6 and drop the lowest character generation method and an extra d20 for advantage/disadvantage rolls. The font size for the percentile die seems a touch small but otherwise, they're well done. It's the extras, though, that elevate the set.

Inside the protective plastic case that covers the set for retail shelves is a box with the Avernus symbol and metallic accents. The two-part box is velvet lined so each side can be used as a dice tray. As much as I love dice tins like they've done before this version is very nice and dice trays are very handy.

I'm a dice lover but the miscellany part provides some very handy items for players. One handout is for infernal script with an explanation on the other side from the best known researcher in the Realms – Volo Geddarm. That will make it easier for the players to translate items they find. The enclosed map of Avernus is gorgeous. On the other side is an example of demon and devil sides for comparison.

Another card provides 20 trinkets that can be found in Avernus. The next card provides 20 Avernus-specific encounters. The remaining 17 cards highlight a variety of demons and devils from imps and abyssal chickens to Balor. One side has art and the other a short commentary by Volo for that creature.

All in all it's a handy little set with high production values. While not essential for playing Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus it would definitely add to the experience.

DbD Dungeon Mayhem Baldurs Gate.png

Players of the card game D&D Dungeon Mayhem can also enjoy Avernus with the Dungeon Mayhem Expansion Pack: Battle for Baldur's Gate. The original Dungeon's Mayhem game is needed to play. This expansion pack adds two 28-card decks, which add the characters Jaheira, the shape-shifting druid and Minsc, the ranger. It also comes with hit point trackers, tockens, reference cards and damage tokens. It's a fun way to add some variety to the base game and accommodate more players.

If Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus tickles your fancy, these additions are a good cherry on top. If you just love the look of the dice, it could still be worth it since you get the box/dice tray and the cards could still be useful in a homebrew campaign. I'm definitely looking forward to Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus so stay tuned for my reviews.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Aaron L

Hero
Great review, thanks! This looks very cool... so cool that I'd like to try to save up enough to buy one (I don't imagine they will be cheap.) I just hope the supplies last long enough to give me enough time to save up.

Also (not meaning to sound snide) if the symbol on the box you mentioned is the one visible in the image above, I am fairly certain that is the actually the Unholy Symbol of Bhaal, not the symbol of Avernus. I guess that's a fairly good indication that Bhaal is going to have a fairly important part to play in the campaign. ;)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Great review, thanks! This looks very cool... so cool that I'd like to try to save up enough to buy one (I don't imagine they will be cheap.) I just hope the supplies last long enough to give me enough time to save up.

Also (not meaning to sound snide) if the symbol on the box you mentioned is the one visible in the image above, I am fairly certain that is the actually the Unholy Symbol of Bhaal, not the symbol of Avernus. I guess that's a fairly good indication that Bhaal is going to have a fairly important part to play in the campaign. ;)

$22.46 on Amazon right now, $24.95 MSRP.

Bhaal & Co. are central to the low level entry adventure in Baldur's Gate itself.

AriochQ

Adventurer
If people haven't tried Dungeon Mayhem, check it out. I am not much of a card/board gamer, but it is a quick and easy game that is a lot of fun as a reasonable price. Don't expect deep strategy, it is a beer & pretzels type game appropriate for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If people haven't tried Dungeon Mayhem, check it out. I am not much of a card/board gamer, but it is a quick and easy game that is a lot of fun as a reasonable price. Don't expect deep strategy, it is a beer & pretzels type game appropriate for gamers and non-gamers alike.

So fun, so quick.

R_J_K75

Legend
If the side notes and player handouts are written by Volo I think theres a pretty good chance of a TPK at every table this module is played if the PCs listen to his advice. He was always portrayed as a snake oil salesmen from what I recall. When did he become so reputable?

I always loved the one page write up of Shadowdale in Volos Guide to the Dalelands.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer

I couldn't agree more with this. It has really surprised me. It's a really fun quick game and the fact that you can change classes, means that it has great replay value. I'm certainly going to get the expansion pack.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases