• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DungeonScape (formerly known as Morningstar)

Ranes

Adventurer
What? This whole discussion has been about an app, so yes...I mean app.

I think he meant 'approximately'.

Hobo, thanks for the reply. I know us Mactards are only a small percentage of the market, so I hope we're still enough to make it worth the port. There's always Cider.

I'll keep watching and listening. Good luck.

rastus_burne

First Post
I think he meant 'approximately'.

Hobo, thanks for the reply. I know us Mactards are only a small percentage of the market, so I hope we're still enough to make it worth the port. There's always Cider.

I'll keep watching and listening. Good luck.
That would certainly make more sense :)

Yes, 6.64% is still a sizeable portion of the computer market (or user-base) who would not have access to the application. I would love to see it ported to OSX, although I realise if that is not a commercially viable option.

Maybe I'll have to buy an iPad! I've been looking for an excuse for awhile.

seebs

Adventurer
You mean app. 6.6% :p

For tools that are likely to be used by multiple members of a group, market share is a misleading measure. My regular gaming group has six people. At least four of us have Windows machines, but at least one has a Mac and no Windows.

Which means that if we were going to be using a tool for any kind of shared activity (say, something like roll20 for online things), or wanted to share stuff between players... We'd pick something that ran on Mac. All of us. Even the ones who only have Windows machines. Because "can share with whole group of players" is the most important feature, completely trumping everything else.

LesserCure

Explorer
That would certainly make more sense :)

Yes, 6.64% is still a sizeable portion of the computer market (or user-base) who would not have access to the application. I would love to see it ported to OSX, although I realise if that is not a commercially viable option.

Maybe I'll have to buy an iPad! I've been looking for an excuse for awhile.

Isn't it a web app? Why wouldn't they have access to it?

SigmaOne

First Post
I don't see how this is a Mac vs. Windows thing. There's no native support for Windows either. HTML5 is a standard supported by browsers on both operating systems. So nobody is being treated like a second-class citizen here. People seem to be thinking "since it's a web app, it must be crap" --- well, I say wait til it comes out and try it. Web apps far surpass what they were a few years ago. And it's free, so no harm. If you think there are problems when you try it, well then you can provide feedback in the beta.

rastus_burne

First Post
I don't see how this is a Mac vs. Windows thing. There's no native support for Windows either. HTML5 is a standard supported by browsers on both operating systems. So nobody is being treated like a second-class citizen here. People seem to be thinking "since it's a web app, it must be crap" --- well, I say wait til it comes out and try it. Web apps far surpass what they were a few years ago. And it's free, so no harm. If you think there are problems when you try it, well then you can provide feedback in the beta.
I think you're misunderstanding what's been written. I'm not complaining that it's a Mac vs Windows thing, I'm just saying it would be nice. And I certainly don't feel 'like a second-class citizen'. There are plenty of services that only work on Windows, and I was acutely aware of that when I purchased my Apple computers. I was simply wondering how/if it would work on OS X, as a substantial demographic uses Apple products.

After this discussion, I've realised it's a web-based application, so of course I'd be able to access it off my laptop, but as it says on the DungeonScape website, it is optimised for mobile devices (perfectly understandable). It was a clarification, not a complaint :D

SigmaOne

First Post
After this discussion, I've realised it's a web-based application, so of course I'd be able to access it off my laptop, but as it says on the DungeonScape website, it is optimised for mobile devices (perfectly understandable). It was a clarification, not a complaint :D

Ah, I think the web app is actually not optimized for [edit] mobile devices, as quoted below from the FAQ. So the web version is really intended for laptops and PCs. I think the web version will be receiving support on par with the mobile versions.

dungeonscape_FAQ said:
[h=4]Can I use the App from my smartphone web browser?[/h]Yes, you could access the web version from your mobile device, however DungeonScape is not optimized for mobile browsers at this time. You may be able to open it and log into the system–realize it will not run well or look great!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Great question. You can message/push some text, a picture, a map to all of your players or to one player granted you are connected to the internet. Does that answer your question?

Yes, it does, and DS sounds better from day to day. :)

Even better, I don't have a 5e game planned for at least one year, so I can get on board after the first wave of updates and corrections. :cool:

I don't awant to demean your effort or abilities, but working as test manager in a software company does leave traces...

Remove ads