D&D 4E Duskblades for 4e

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
Modified Blade of Frost:

Blade of Frost
Duskblade Attack 1
You imbue your weapon with the ruthless energy of the north, and deliver a strike that numbs enemies to the core.
At Will * Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Str, or Dex vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier cold damage. Followup: Int vs Fort: target is slowed until the beginning of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

I can understand why you might not want to use this exactly, but maybe it will give you an idea or wake up your muse.

Rechan said:
My interpretation of the Duskblade was that he was a Fighter+Blow-upper (and a little buffing). In 4e thus that'd be a Defender+Controller.
Very much disagree. Duskblades are blow-uppers, but only one opponent at a time for the most part. They don't have any real controller-type spells. The specialize in causing a bucket of damage against individual opponents. Therefore, striker.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
The Arcane Brute bonus to the Blade of Blood is too powerful. Healing surges heal 1/4 your max HP. So you are looking at a HUGE increase in damage when you get into higher levels. This really needs to be changed.

Rechan

Adventurer
Fifth Element said:
Very much disagree. Duskblades are blow-uppers, but only one opponent at a time for the most part. They don't have any real controller-type spells. The specialize in causing a bucket of damage against individual opponents. Therefore, striker.
Huh. I could've sworn they got fireball.

After reviewing their spell list, I pull back my earlier comment.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Saishu_Heiki said:
I can understand why you might not want to use this exactly, but maybe it will give you an idea or wake up your muse.
Interesting you should word it like that, because when I was going to sleep last night, I was pondering your statement, and an idea DID come to me!

This is what I thought of: First, I create a notation for powers that use different ability score modifiers based on ranged or melee weapons, (Ra) and (Me) respectively. Then, I modify the powers that can use both melee and ranged weapons to be "Attack: (Me) Str, (Ra) Dex vs. Blah." Then, I look at the Duskblade Mastery class feature and add a little bonus to all the selectable features, except for Arcane Archer (the most powerful of them), in the form of an alternative ability score to use with a (Me) or (Ra) attack. For instance, Arcane Agility would get to use Dex for (Me) attacks, and Spell Penetration would be able to use Int for (Me) attacks, and Arcane Brute would be able to use Str for (Ra) attacks. One important thing to remember is that not all powers will be (Me)/(Ra), particularly the dailys.

Kirnon_Bhale: I am aware that it is currently unbalanced, but this is one of my "Problem Powrs," so to speak. I am more than willing to hear suggestions on how to correct the power, but I myself cannot think of a better way to handle it while retaining the flavor of the power. I do encourage you to keep in mind that it is an encounter power, and can only be used once per encounter, and has serious health side effects for the caster. It might be balanced already in some aspects, but I do recognize the need to change something about it, whether it be the level of the power, the effect, or what have you.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I think a great balancing factor for Intelligence would be if the attack and damage used separate ability scores. Say, you use Intelligence for attack rolls, but use Strength and Dexterity for melee and ranged damage, respectively. Or possibly the other way around, not sure which would be more balanced.
But as I recall it, 3.5 duskblades did not gain great benefits from a high Intelligence as they already had a respectable number of spells per day and few of their spells had saves against them.

Regarding Arcane Archer, one way to balance it would be that all powers are melee only by default, and choosing Arcane Archer makes them ranged (only?), with no additional benefits to any power.

Perhaps tying the Blade of Blood bonus damage to Healing Surges remaining or already expended? Or perhaps just giving Blade of Blood extra damage if the Arcane Brute is bloodied or allowing the Brute to use it as an Immediate Reaction when they become bloodied?

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
RyukenAngel said:
Made an update to Blade of Blood. Maybe more balanced?
Not really. :)

Most damage bonuses we are seeing are in the range of 1-5 points. By letting the Duskblade add his strength SCORE, it could easily be 16-20 points added at first level. Making it strength*modifier* would bring it back in line.

Rechan

Adventurer
Saishu_Heiki said:
Not really. :)

Most damage bonuses we are seeing are in the range of 1-5 points. By letting the Duskblade add his strength SCORE, it could easily be 16-20 points added at first level. Making it strength*modifier* would bring it back in line.
I imagine that's what he intended.

Remove ads