D&D 5E Dwarfs, Elfs, and Memory

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This assumes their memory can stretch back hundreds of years. I am in my late 40s and memories from my teens and 20s are still there, but they are fading. I don't remember names, specifics etc and I am certainly not "proficient" in things like hitting a baseball or diagram a sentence in English.

My guess is if I live another 940 years I will forget most of that completely ...... If I do live that long, I will come back on this board and post the results .... if I remember to. :p

Hmmm thats actually kinda cool - maybe Elfs memory is kind of a fuzzy indistinct ephemera and they create art and music as a means to soldify some of their faded memory into something that can prompt recollection.

Similarly maybe Dwarfs are drawn to stone because its a lot more sure than fleshy memory and when a Dwarf crafts a stone monument or a metal tool it gives them permanence in the world

While I am not a fan of many of the changes MToF did to elf and drow lore (such as being forced to reincarnate because they can only stay in Arvandor for a period of time, as punishment for what their ancestors did), it has been part of the lore for a while that reverie allowed elves to, well, remember. Not past lives, per se, but their current life. Through reverie, an elf can remember events that happened to him/her/them a long time ago. It also helped them connect with other elves. Not in a telepathic sort of way, but, like the dwarves, even though elves are very individualistic, they also view themselves as part of a greater community.

The pull and connection to Arvandor is also very strong--MToF kept this to some extent--and, well, if we go by elven legend, they were born of Corellon's blood, so that gives them a connection to their god. Even if you just label it as elven mythos, I believe we can draw some truth from it, at least when saying that the connection between the elves, the Seldarine, and Arvandor is strong, and, as an elf reaches "venerable" age, they start to feel the pull even more keenly, and will start getting their last affairs in order.

Point being, it wouldn't surprise me if all this indeed had some influence on elven "innateness" to master things like archery--and I also think it's just a big part of their culture, not to mention the fact their lifespan allows for them to master a number of skills.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Dont start thinking like that, your DnD gonna collapse.
with the logic of life span of elve, we should give them proficiency in all skills, all weapons, all tools,
you assume the muscle memory does not rot over that time, so they remember how to do it but no longer have the skills.

with the logic of life span of elve, we should give them proficiency in all skills, all weapons, all tools,
I like Keith Baker's solution for this: his idea is that elves mentally mature at the same rate humans do up until age 70 or so, and then get stuck there in that old age mindset for the rest of their lives. This is based on the perception that old people both have difficulty with learning and adapting to new trends and generally choose not to because of a preference for what's familiar; I have no idea how accurate this is, but it's certainly an idea that could hold purchase in-universe even if it ultimayely turns out to not be true.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I like Keith Baker's solution for this: his idea is that elves mentally mature at the same rate humans do up until age 70 or so, and then get stuck there in that old age mindset for the rest of their lives. This is based on the perception that old people both have difficulty with learning and adapting to new trends and generally choose not to because of a preference for what's familiar; I have no idea how accurate this is, but it's certainly an idea that could hold purchase in-universe even if it ultimayely turns out to not be true.
that would explain so much honestly.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

I usually deal with that by having most elves be higher level than say, humans. A middle age ordinary human probably is a level 2-3 character equivalent (not necessarily one with PC classes...), but an elf is probably at least level 5. An elven PC adventurer starting at level 1 is usually preeety young.

Keith's thoughts on the Elvish language, and the way both Lizardfolk and Goblins use shared dreams to form their cohesive societies may also be of use.

Remove ads