• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Defender who polymorphed into a Hill Giant?

DethStryke

Explorer
The Situation - I'm running a mid-high level game (~13th right now) in which I inherited some interesting PCs from previous DMs - I'm not responsible for the builds or equipment of these. :)

Three of the primary players (i.e. the ones that show up every week) are a Paladin of Heroneous, A redeemed 1/2 orc Monk with Vow of Poverty, and a dwarven defender.

The dwarven defender has a very powerful rod (waaaay too powerful, but that's my opinion) which, among other things, can cast Polymorph as a 20th level caster. Beset by Driders atop ~20'-tall shaped stalagmites, the dwarf decides to move to the center of the kill zone and cast polymorph on himself. He chooses the shape of a Hill Giant.

I am amazed. Other players literally call him out as a traitor to his own race.

My dilemma - what is a fitting punishment to this crime against dwarven culture? Information regarding Dwarven Defenders is VERY sparse, but it's my opinion that no dwarf would consider changing themselves into the shape of one of their hated enemies; especially one that is supposed to be the paragon of dwarven culture.

However, the game is supposed to be fun. His "mistake" is begot from power gaming - it was the largest thing he could change into, I think. I don't want to destroy his character, per-se, but I'm not inclined to let power-gamers run rampant with clauses and loop-holes.

The first idea I thought of is to have all of the Ex. powers of the prestige class to stop working; showing Moradin's displeasure at his choice. I see the prestige class as a dwarven paladin, and this would create a fall. Atonement and some quest could restore these powers, but it's not something he's going to be able to clear by just saying "I'm sorry".

What do you think and how would you resolve the scenario?

rgard

Adventurer
I'm not clear on this. He is a traitor because he morphed into a giant and used the larger size to defeat the driders? Or is he a traitor in that he morphed into a giant and sided with the driders?

If it's the former (defeating the driders), I personally don't see the problem. He used a magic tool he had to defeat evil.

If he sided with the driders, then yes, I understand the label of 'traitor'.

Thanks,
Rich

Henry

Autoexreginated
If you want to get technical, All his dwarven defender class abilities would work fine, because he STILL hasn't changed creature type; he's still a dwarf, because polymorph doesn't do that. However, I wouldn't call him a "race-traitor" any more than I would if he took a wizard level. Now, if he'd shacked up with a Hill Giant and expressed intentions to marry her or him, that might be different. :D

DethStryke

Explorer
rgard said:
I'm not clear on this. He is a traitor because he morphed into a giant and used the larger size to defeat the driders? Or is he a traitor in that he morphed into a giant and sided with the driders?

The concept goes that no self-respecting dwarf would assume the shape of a hated enemy on general principal; it's a dwarven pride thing.

I don't think this question would come up if it were any other dwarf - however, the description of the dwarven defender prestige class reads: "The dwarven defender is a sponsored champion of a dwarven cause, a dwarf aristocrat, a dwarven deity, or the dwarven way of life."

Since he is not bound to an aristocrat or diety, the ones I have left are cause and way of life. So you do not think that a proud, stubborn race would have no problem taking the physical form of one of their most hated enemies - one that is so ingrained in their culture that ALL dwarves have bonuses when fighting them?

Henry

Autoexreginated
DethStryke said:
Since he is not bound to an aristocrat or diety, the ones I have left are cause and way of life. So you do not think that a proud, stubborn race would have no problem taking the physical form of one of their most hated enemies - one that is so ingrained in their culture that ALL dwarves have bonuses when fighting them?

"Familiarity breeds contempt. To know your enemy best, BECOME your enemy." ;) I can't remember where i read that, though.

DethStryke

Explorer
Henry said:
If you want to get technical, All his dwarven defender class abilities would work fine, because he STILL hasn't changed creature type; he's still a dwarf, because polymorph doesn't do that.
Interesting view - I am inclined to agree as well.

Henry said:
Now, if he'd shacked up with a Hill Giant and expressed intentions to marry her or him, that might be different. :D
I would TOTALLY play really bad naughty-video-style music in the background whenever it was mentioned - bow-chica-wah-waow! I think for that kind of idea, that may be punishment enough! :)

DethStryke

Explorer
Henry said:
"Familiarity breeds contempt. To know your enemy best, BECOME your enemy." ;) I can't remember where i read that, though.
Sounds like something out of the Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Perhaps you're right. Polymorph can be perminant... :]

"Familiarity breeds contempt... and children."
-Samuel Clemens

shilsen

Adventurer
Did you tell the player at the time he attempted it that in your view the act would be anathema to a dwarven defender? Always remember that your view on flavor and culture is unlikely to be precisely the same as your players'.

rgard

Adventurer
DethStryke said:
The concept goes that no self-respecting dwarf would assume the shape of a hated enemy on general principal; it's a dwarven pride thing.

I don't think this question would come up if it were any other dwarf - however, the description of the dwarven defender prestige class reads: "The dwarven defender is a sponsored champion of a dwarven cause, a dwarf aristocrat, a dwarven deity, or the dwarven way of life."

So I guess the morph to giant was to defeat the driders. It's not a problem in my opinion. The PC did what he thought was necessary to defeat the driders. Better to take the form and live to combat dwarven enemies later, than to die and defend no more.

Therefore, I don't see that you need to penalize the character.

If you are set on penalizing the character, the worst I could see is having dwarf npcs mock him for choosing the giant form.

Sorry,
Rich

pbd

First Post
I tend to agree that this would not cause the Dwarf to suffer any penalties, other than maybe some ribbing by his companies.

He is not espousing the merits of Hill Giants, but merely using that form as a tool kill the enemies at hand. Dwarfs may hate giants (well, not all giants, I think they get along with the non-evil giants), but they are also practical and recognize that the right tool is needed for the job. In this instance a large form was needed to fight the driders and with the dwarven knowledge of giants, he would realize that this form would allow him to complete the task at hand.

Remove ads