Dwarven Sayings

Hi folks,

I would like your help with unique dwarven sayings. Here are a few I found onine:

"Never injure your pride by substituting your axe for a smith's hammer.": A dwarven proverb meaning "the right tool for the right job."

"People die for wealth and birds die for food.": An Dwarven proverb that speaks to what is truly of value.

"The Gods look after fools, children, and drunkards... humans usually count for two out of three.": A Dwarven saying that expresses their general opinion of the human race.

"An elf’s tongue will talk the Timelight round."

"Between the pickaxe and the rockface..."

"Certain as the Morongetyr is still in place."

"Discussion gathers no gems."

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Not exactly a saying, but a good thing for a dwarf to say when he sees a fortress built by non-dwarves which he feels is of good construction: "Give me a year and a hundred of my kin and I would make this a place that armies would break upon like water." (Gimli, speaking to Legolas, The Two Towers, Chapter VII, "Helm's Deep").

Ambrus

Explorer
A good dwarven swear word is "Sandstone!" It's a soft and brittle stone that no dwarf worth his salt would be pleased to build with or live beneath. ;)

Mycanid

First Post
Anti-Sean said:
"No ale for me, just some wine, please! Don't I look pretty in this dress! Tra la la!"

That might just be how I play dwarves, though...

Err ... yeah. :uhoh:

Gimli had a good one elsewhere: "Give me a row of orc necks and room to swing and all weariness will fall from me!" Generally said when tired or worn out after strenous labor. ;)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Ambrus said:
A good dwarven swear word is "Sandstone!" It's a soft and brittle stone that no dwarf worth his salt would be pleased to build with or live beneath. ;)

Sandstone still is still useful as it makes great grindstones for sharpening axeblades on. Sandstone is also easy to carve and so a few Dwarven artist may use it as a base

"Even a clot of sand can sharpen an axe" - don't underestimate small things

a better candidate for a despised rock would be something like Shale and schist which are flakey and break easily.

"Shale-spined lot you are"

Talc! also makes a good short expletive and probably refers to anything of little substance

"Its nought but talc to me boy!"

Simm

First Post
To quote Pratchett:
"All trees are felled at ground level," which is better translated as "When his hands are higher than your head your teeth are at a level with his groin."

also

"Today is a good day for somone else to die!"

To quote WHFB:

"There is nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of an elf."

Agent Oracle

First Post
my favorite Pratchet dwarfism is "It is the thing, and the whole of the thing".

also:

"He has seen the light." (A deep dwarven ethnic slur against common dwarves who have been outside of a mine.)

"Where there is trouble, you will always find a troll."

Remove ads