• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Stronghold - a community effort

Terraism

Explorer
Beanbag - unless someone else would rather, I'd like to do layout/editor/etc... that sort of thing is rapidly becoming my dream job. :D I enjoy throwing out ideas, and will help work on just about anything - brainstorming, ideas, critiquing, etc... - but more than just about anything else, I'd prefer to co-ordinate this, keep things organized, and set up a nice looking finished 'product.' I just wish I was an artist... I can do abstract stuff, like borders, headers, etc... but I can't draw specifics (such as a person or scene) worth beans. Anyone?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Glad you stepped up...

Terraism, I am glad you volunteered. I have the skills, but not the time.

Let me know if you need any help. I have Quark as well as Acrobat, so if you need me to do any final layout/conversions-- just let me know.

Wulf

Dave G

First Post
Terraism - I've got Illustrator, Photoshop and PageMaker, but I'll gladly let you have a chance to fulfill your dream. Since I do it for a living, it will be easier on me know I can concentrate on writing and coordinating stuff.

If you ever need help, feel free to ask away!

Wulf - we may yet have need of your services, but I'd rather have you in on the creative side for now!

I will try to get something written and post a snippet tomorrow!

Darraketh

First Post
Dwarven Druids

I think Dwarves could make good druids if you consider their enviroment. They'd be most likely concerned with things that grow underground. As such you would rarely encounter them outside of their enviroment and they would probably be of little use as a PC.

Most likely they would have extensive knowledge of mushrooms, fungus and molds. They could probably make various concoctions from them.

They may also have a keen sense of direction underground as well as a sense of relative depth.

Perhaps they could dowse for water or minerals.

I can see sort of an uneasy acceptance of them by the traditional dwarven priests. The priests see the value of the druids but otherwise look down on them.

Maybe the druids themselves live apart from the rest of the dwarves preferring the natural caverns, underground streams and fields of mushrooms to the finished and polished stone halls of their more sociable brothers.

-----
With as much brain power that can be brought to bear on this project I say go for the gusto! Make this the definative dwarven kingdom. A d20 3e masterpiece that will be talked about and sought out for years to come.:D

-----
And I am so glad I got a couple of votes for "Forgefather". I've had that as the title of the dwarven high muckity muck in my campaign for years. It just sounds so dwarvy. lol :D

RandyWalker

Explorer
I love the idea of the valley-spanning bridge as a symbol of the dwarven craftsmanship and splendor. How 'bout this idea?
There is a band of sorcerers and druids (another group of druids) who's job it is to keep the bridge standing. I love magic and all the different ways it can be used and would be willing to detail a platoon of Bridgemasons to add to the setting.

Also, let me know if there is anything else you want me to do. I'm willing to do whatever you need me to do.

~Archmage

Stegger

First Post
I am amazed at the level of ideas just coming from all sides. This really sounds interesting, and if you want my help, I would gladly help with anything if needed.
This just might turn out to be something great:D
Does anybody have an idea of the magnitude of this product? Are you talking about 20 pages or 200?
Question:
In what setting, GH/FR/?, does this stronghold exist? Is that decided yet?
As I said, just tell me what you would like me to do? Maybe help design new prestige classes, that is found in the stronghold and in the patrols which survey the underworld perimeters...
Stegger

ThenHeCame

First Post
Utter sweetness

Hi there!,
I'm a long time lurker, who just now bothered to register becuase I've never been so compelled to post before. I would really love get in on the ground floor of this somewhat, no matter how minor.

I love military history and I'd like to lend in my small ideas on the dwarven army if I could. Now I know a few members already have an idea for a special op's kind of thing, but I'd love to help out with the standard military force.

In my own campaign research, I went to the library one tuesday and hit the atlas, there I went to each Wester/Eastern European Country, Parts of Africa, Australia and the surronding islands and the Americas and added up their total number of people in their active military and divided by their total population. The Average I came up with is .75% of the total populations in countries are in the military ( Naval, Army, Air )
If this could be any use to you in trying to calculate the strong hold's standing standard military force.

To me, Dwarven leaders seem unconventional, I think the idea of having the Dwarf who leads up the Guard/Watch refuse to appoint officers who didn't come up through the ranks which infuriates the council...

How would the standard military be split? I can see the Guard/Watch made up of normal and stout dwarves, the special op's being what they are, A smaller more combat elite legion which serves as personal guards to council members/king and maybe a cerimonial guard too? Lots of fanfare and flash but not worth the stone they fight for?

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Re: Utter sweetness

ThenHeCame said:
The Average I came up with is .75% of the total populations in countries are in the military...

I think this would be much higher for dwarves. Fighter is their favored class, after all, and they are constantly fighting off those who would steal their riches. I just don't see dwarves supporting a large class of citizens who don't fight.

I think for dwarves, at some point or another, everyone serves.

Wulf

Remove ads