• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarves + axes... why?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Besides, the natural Dwarven response to a cramped cavern isn't "learn to fight within it!", but "make it bigger and chase down whatever little goblin is hiding inside!"

So:

Hammer -> Forge. Dwarves forge stuff. They use the hammers of the forge in battle (or at least their priests do).

Pick -> Mining. Dwarves do a lot of digging, and the pick is a digging implement.

Axe -> Vikings. Dwarves are often culturally modeled as vaguely "nordic," and you just ain't a Viking without a horned helmet and an axe.

They're all heavy, swining weapons, emphasizing strength over finesse and a raw, brutal onslaught to exacting pokes. Dwarves aren't interested in poking their enemies and sending them running away like elves are. Dwarves want eradication, domination, an iron fist of law above the dark danger of chaos. Nothin' says "you are under my thumb!" than an overheaded axe swing bringing you to the feet of your assailant.

Satori

First Post
Wow, nice answers.

I think one little aspect that many roleplayers want to ignore is the fact that dwarves can use Dwarven War Axes as Martial Weapons. Sure, its only d2 more points of damage...but who in their right mind wouldn't use a superior weapon if they had the chance?

Personally, I've created a Dwarven War Pick that does 1d8 20/x4 as an exotic weapon to replace the "Dwarven War Axe", and a War Maul that does the same as a War Axe.

Axes are relegated to orcish culture, which I see as more "Tree Killing" and destructive than dwarves. Dwarves just want to be left alone to build stuff and mine, dagnabit!

Ysgarran

Odhanan said:
aliment the forge.
Aliment? Don't come a word I don't know very often. From the context it was pretty obvious what you meant.

Aliment:
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin alimentum, from alere to nourish.

Galethorn

First Post
In my setting, the typical dwarven infantry-'man' uses a large, rectangular shield and a short stabbing sword; the nobility tend to favor axes and other polearms as a mark of prestige, however, much like human nobility tend to favor cutting swords while most soldiers use spears (footmen) or lances (horsemen).

Now, another point I ought to make about my dwarves is that they don't live underground any more, and are instead integrated with humans in various mountain-adjacent settlements. By extension, the long-choppity-thing fetish is a response to no longer having confined spaces limiting movement, as well as a logical way to negate the disadvantage of those stumpy limbs.

shilsen

Adventurer
lukelightning said:
After making the character I realized I must have been subconsciously inspired by Casanunda.... which just means I ripped him off without realizing it.
Nah! it's not Casanunda unless he has Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Stepladder.

Rev. Jesse

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Axe -> Vikings. Dwarves are often culturally modeled as vaguely "nordic," and you just ain't a Viking without a horned helmet and an axe.

I've always found the Dwavish / Viking link to be suspect. Afterall:
1.) Vikings were feral raiders, Dwarves are mostly lawful
2.) Vikings were well know for their seamanship, Dwarves hate water

There are better cultural links to follow for Dwarves. Consider that there are historical examples of European people who live underground, are bitter and ill-mannered, and drink a lot.

Obviously, Dwarves are French!
(or maybe Scottish)

Sejs

First Post
Three reasons:

1) Dwarves are short subterrainian vikings.

2) Dwarves are the antithesis of Elves. Elves love trees. Dwarves cut down trees for use in industry. Elves are capricious and flighty. Dwarves are stoic and hard-working. Elves are graceful and fight with finesse. Dwarves are stalwart and fight with straight-forward emphasis. Elves are willow trees, bending in the wind, resilent in their flexibility. Dwarves are mountains, immovable in their defense, subtle as an avalanche in their attack.

3) A Dwarf with a rapier would just look friggin' silly.

was

Adventurer
I think the warhammer thing comes from their rep. as craftsmen. As for the axe thing, I think that's used play them against elves. I think the pick would have been a better choice.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
For me it has always come down to the fact that Dwarves are craftsmen and warriors at the same time. Picks, Hammers, anx Axes are all both weapons and tools.

Remove ads