[E&E] Goblin's Lair #1 - Red Hand Trail

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
The world called Gaia is very much like our Earth was in the early part of the 19th century... except, of course, that Gaia boasts the presence of magic, faeries, dragons, and other supernatural wonders. One of Gaia's continents, Arcadia, is a land of many nations, most of them in the midst of an Industrial Revolution and an explosion of modern scientific understanding and technological development. Driven by coal and steam, clockwork and electricity, the world is changing with breathtaking rapidity. Some of the elder races, especially long-lived elves and fays, can't quite wrap their heads around this new world being created by men, gnomes, dwarves, and other races more technologically inclined.

In the center of Arcadia is a country called Midjard, the middle-country, a region of several small and independent kingdoms. Some of these kingdoms are well known and rather powerful. Spielberg is famous for its military, and Handelstad is famous for its wealth. Daemmerung is known for the power of its wizards, and Aelfheim for the wisdom of its sages. But the kingdom of Dreiseen (which is known in the Common Tongue as the kingdom of Threelakes) is not particularly outstanding for any of these reasons. In fact, it is quite the out-of-the-way little region, populated by farmers and fishers, and so far, little touched by the marvels of modern technological progress.

In the western part of Dreiseen is a lowland, a large valley some twenty miles wide running east-west and perhaps eighty miles long running north-south. This valley is known as the Donnerreiss (the Thunder-Rift). Much of the Donnerresiss is wilderness. There are no cities, only a few villages, and many rough and rugged parts which rest in monster hands. It is into the wilds of the Donnerreiss that your party has ventured, looking for excitement and profit. Your first destination: the village of Kleine, on the southern shore of Lake Oestrel. A massive waterfall called the Donnerfall (its pervasive roar gives the whole valley of the Donnerreiss its name) plunges into Lake Oestrel, after which a lazy flow called the Drache River wends down from the lake (about where Kleine sits), and then southward through the valley and eventually all the way to the mighty Gylden River, at the very southern edge of the Kingdom of Dreiseen, many leagues distant.

You arrive in Kleine on a crisp autumn morning, brown leaves crunching beneath your feet, frost coating the tips of grass-blades, wisps of your own breath made visible for a heartbeat. The sky is blue and cloudless, the sun bright. And yet, you come to this village well aware of the rumors. Trouble stirs in the east. Homesteads destroyed, crops and possessions pillaged, farmers and their families either slain or kidnapped or force to flee. And some claim to have seen goblins in the hills. Goblins! Above ground, and in broad daylight at times! Such a thing is unheard of, even in such a wilderness as the Donnerreiss. After all, goblins are things of legend. At least as far as any of you know, nobody has seen a real goblin in hundreds and hundreds of years. It's possible that they might not even exist at all, and that the farmers are merely jumping at shadows. Or perhaps the threat is real, but farms are being destroyed by ordinary, mortal bandits, and not by spooks and myths and legends.

Whatever the case, you have come to Kleine in search of adventure. This village is little more than a crossroads and a collection of small buildings, most of them sturdy and tile-roofed, but still very rustic in appearance and construction. The roads are dirt-paved, and there isn't even so much as a lamppost in the village square! Just a stone well where the two dirt highways intersect. But one building does stand out beyond the others, a large and relatively new-looking three-storey home. This, you suppose, must be the burgomaster's manor.

But surely, the leader of a village like Kleine would be too busy to meet with a ragtag band of adventurers, right?

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Reginald enters town concerned about the rumors. He knows more than most,
from his knowledge of history and magic, that the old tales hold more truth than most would believe. He makes his way to Burgermeister, perhaps with his membership in the order, he will be granted an audience.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Biggums leans back on the mound of hay that fills up the farmers wagon that he hitched a ride on. His long rimmed hat tilted over his eyes and his hands behind his head. He feels the road has gotten a little less bumpy so he lifts up a portion of his hat and sees they are now inside of a village. Biggums gives himself a slight push to get off of the wagon then turns around and gives the farmer a tip of his hat. Readjusting his long coat and picking off some stray hay here and there he looks around the village. Biggums pulls out a small note and reads it out loud to himself. "Kleine,hmm" an annoyed face comes over his face, "bugger me, no bloody sign in sight."
He looks around for someone and he notices a man with a large sword and a holy symbol. "Oi, sir," He yells over at the man as he walks towards him. "Am I in the right place because I heard there's been some trouble around so in my mind that means there some gold around, ya get what I'm sayin', mate." He said to him with a large grin as he handed over the note.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Morgana huffs at the sight of the town as her and Thalion climb out of the decrepit old carriage that has brought them to Kleine. She rubs at her butt, "You FAILED to mention that the ride would be this long and bumpy, boy."

She pats herself down, pulling the creases out of her long cloak. "I suppose we aught to visit the larger... dwelling... over there." She takes a few steps into the town. "Is this really considered livable? There aren't even any roads!"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Fenn stops in front of the burgomaster's manor, taking a moment to take the knapsack-tied pole holding his rations on the side next to him then patting off the bottom of his dirt-caked trousers. "Hmmm... busy today out here, it seems. Looks like I'm not the only one looking for work," he says aloud, partly to himself and party to his fellow pedestrians.

Fenris

Adventurer
Morgana huffs at the sight of the town as her and Thalion climb out of the decrepit old carriage that has brought them to Kleine. She rubs at her butt, "You FAILED to mention that the ride would be this long and bumpy, boy."

"Maybe because you were too busy picking out clothes to hear me when I did say it" he whipsers back before flashing a smile at Morgana

She pats herself down, pulling the creases out of her long cloak. "I suppose we aught to visit the larger... dwelling... over there." She takes a few steps into the town. "Is this really considered livable? There aren't even any roads!"

"Roads exist where ever one needs to tread. Our road has led us here. And this is only the begining of our road."
says Thalion with a genuine smile.

Queenie

Queen of Everything

"Roads exist where ever one needs to tread. Our road has led us here. And this is only the begining of our road."
says Thalion with a genuine smile.

Morgana rolls her eyes. "There you go gettin all philosophical again. I'm saving my deep thoughts for my next millennium. Now come on, let's go find adventure."

She leads the way to the large house and to the rag tag group already standing there.

"Excuse me sirs, is this the burgomaster's residence? We are looking for him and the faster we find him, the better. I'm starving and need a bath!"

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Reginald makes for the front door of the large house, only to be stopped by a rustic-looking chap with a wide-brimmed hat and a penchant for folksy conversation. It's Biggums Niper, who has quite literally just stepped off the hayseed wagon.

But before Reginald of the Order can answer Biggums's questions, they are joined by a third man--this one in dirty travelling clothes which have been colorfully stained in various places by who-only-knows what manner of chemicals--Fenn McDabbler. He seems to be muttering something to himself.

And as if that weren't strange enough, there is also an old stagecoach just arriving in Kleine, a rickety carriage pulled by a foursome of weary nags. The coach driver, who looks to be in his eighties, leaps down spryly and opens the door for a pair of elves. No, wait... a closer look suggests that only the male is elvish, the female is fay. Well, that's odd indeed.

The five of you stand before the front door of the house. No butler or porter has come out to meet you, but then, in a village this small, that's to be expected. Reginald, his hand already on the front doorknob, finds it to be unlocked.

G

Guest 11456

Zephyrus walks into the small villiage of Kleine and upon seeing several individuals in front of the Burgomaster's Manor he strides in that direction. Once there the Sylph follows the others into the structure.

Fenris

Adventurer
Thalion looks around at the collection of sundry folk including a Sylph. "My what a strange collection we all make. Is everyone else here chasing rumors of adventure, wealth and excitement?"

Remove ads