• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General E. Gary Gygax auction Nov 2023

Sacrosanct

Legend
This didn't age well

"Gygax stresses that “we didn’t want to end up with the rather disastrous type of movie that Tolkien’s ring trilogy ended up with,” referring to the early animated features."

"The recent release of the first Arnold Schwarzenegger film Conan the Barbarian gave Gygax an example of how not to make a fantasy film: he panned it in the pages of the Dragon magazine, adding “badly done films seem more likely to destroy interest in fantasy rather than build it.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This didn't age well

"Gygax stresses that “we didn’t want to end up with the rather disastrous type of movie that Tolkien’s ring trilogy ended up with,” referring to the early animated features."

"The recent release of the first Arnold Schwarzenegger film Conan the Barbarian gave Gygax an example of how not to make a fantasy film: he panned it in the pages of the Dragon magazine, adding “badly done films seem more likely to destroy interest in fantasy rather than build it.”
I think it's hard now to see the Schwarzenegger movies through the lend of someone who had read Conan for decades prior to it's release, but..much as I would say it I'd pretty good movie, it is a pretty big departure from Howard's characterization and style.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
This didn't age well

Yup. I think these got cited in the "reviews that didn't age well" thread over in Geek Talk & Media.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm sorry, that manuscript is just awful in the most unintentional comedic way

Thumbless Drobni starts to “pivot,” which throws the dragon off balance, and then “pivot harder, harder, turning in a circle,” until the dragon is lifted off the ground, “not far-but just enough to swing it like a bolo, in a circle.”

1699889196930.png

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think it's hard now to see the Schwarzenegger movies through the lend of someone who had read Conan for decades prior to it's release, but..much as I would say it I'd pretty good movie, it is a pretty big departure from Howard's characterization and style.
yeah, but even at the time Gary must have known that it grossed 4x it's budget, and made more at the box office than Tootsie, Tron, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Blade Runner.

He said he wanted a successful movie while lambasting what a successful fantasy movie actually was by letting his bias completely cause him to ignore the facts.

Remove ads