E-Tools: When creating monster, it only generates .rac file..

EarthsShadow

First Post
How am I also able to get the matching .mon file so I can generate the monster for encounters and to get the monster to show up on all the appropriate lists?

bitz

First Post
Just to clarify, the Race Editor only creates Races (the .rac files).

The Monster Editor helps you create a monster (.mon) file based upon a previously created Race.

So, creating a monster from scratch is a two-step process, not a one-step process that creates two files.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I recommend that you read my How to Build a Dragon walkthrough on my website (below) -- it helps explain the relationship between the .rac files and the .mon files. In a nutshell, you have to build the .rac first and then use the Monster Editor to finish off the race as a monster.

Renaissance Man

First Post
Eric, I haven't checked your site yet, so forgive me if it already addresses the following...

I've added a githzerai race file via the race editor, and created a stock monster file for githzerai using the monster editor. However, I get an error message when I use the character generator to create a githzerai with class levels. What am I doing wrong?

EricNoah

Adventurer
That's a bug -- I believe the workaround posted was that for some reason the Char Gen is looking in the Core/Races folder and not looking correctly into the User/Races folder. I think you can place a copy of your .rac file in Core/Races and it will work for you. Let me try ...

Yep, that worked. I copied a file Vampire, Human.rac from my User/Races to Core/Races and the generator works fine that way. The problem, now, is that race appears twice (once in the A-Z list for the core/MM races and once at the end of that list with the custom races) -- so just be sure to pick the right one when generating.

Note that this is a temporary fix until the patch comes out.

Sample:

Sorte (1): Male Vampire, Human Rog5; Medium Undead ; HD 5d6 (Rogue); hp 30; Init +9; Spd 30; AC 25; Atk +7 base melee, +8 base ranged; +7 (1d6+6, Slam); +8 (1d6+4, Rapier, Masterwork); +9 (1d6+1, Mighty composite shortbow +1, Masterwork); SA: Domination (Su), Energy drain (Su), Blood drain (Ex), Children of the night (Su), Create spawn (Su); SQ: Damage reduction (Su), Resistance: Turn (Ex), Resistance: Cold (Ex), Resistance: Electricity (Ex), Gaseous form (Su), Spider climb (Ex), Alternate form (Su), Fast healing (Ex), Undead; AL CE; SV Fort +2, Ref +12, Will +3; STR 18, DEX 20, CON --, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 12.
Possessions:
Weapons: Rapier, Masterwork; Mighty composite shortbow +1, Masterwork.
Armor: Studded leather, Masterwork.
Shields: Buckler, Masterwork.
Goods: Arrows (20), Masterwork; Rope, silk (50 ft.); Thieves' tools, Masterwork.
Magic: Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Darkvision (3); Potion: Neutralize Poison (5); Wondrous: Cloak of resistance (+1); Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Cure Light Wounds (1); Potion: Neutralize Poison (5).
Skills:
Appraise+10, Bluff+9, Disable Device+12, Hide+20, Listen+18, Move Silently+20, Open Lock+14, Search+18, Sense Motive+9, Spot+18, Tumble+12, Use Magic Device+8, Use Rope+7.
Feats:
Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Shield Proficiency.

Last edited:

Remove ads