E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
FrouzenIland said:
Skill Training (General)
Benefit: You gain 4 additional skill points.

What about that?

The feat Open Minded already exists in the SRD, and gives 5 skill points.

FrouzenIland

First Post
TwoSix said:
The feat Open Minded already exists in the SRD, and gives 5 skill points.

Nah, 4 is much better :D :p

edit: sorry, but where is it? can't find the feat. :(

found it. psionics! never cared about them :)

Last edited:

FrouzenIland

First Post
So I think most of the feat possibilites are pretty much covered.
What about feats to reaise the BAB up to character level?

Combat Training (General)
Benefit: Your base attack bonus increases by +1. Your maximum base attack bonus equals your character level.

I was also thinking about some feats that in a normal D&D game would be useless, but in E6 could be very interesting.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
FrouzenIland said:
So I think most of the feat possibilites are pretty much covered.
What about feats to reaise the BAB up to character level?

Combat Training (General)
Benefit: Your base attack bonus increases by +1. Your maximum base attack bonus equals your character level.

I was also thinking about some feats that in a normal D&D game would be useless, but in E6 could be very interesting.

Sounds like a good idea on paper, but it'll be terribly broken in real play. In particular, it'll overpower caster-types -- why play a paladin when you can be a cleric and raise your attack bonus twice?

Keeping the 2/3rds BAB classes at +4 at the end is crucial to maintaining balance. Put another way, most of the feats we've created for E6 exist in some shape or form in D&D3.5 already. If a feat like the above one was a good idea, I think we'd have seen it in a splatbook at some point.

EDIT: Besides, with that feat, I can show you a Scout capable of dealing over 50 damage on a charge - without Power Attacking. It's incredibly abusable.

Ry

Explorer
Kuni, can you expand on that abuse bit? I don't have any experience with the scout, I'm just thinking the rogue.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Sure. Scouts have skirmish, which is basically sneak attack that requires you to move 10 feet, so no two-weapon fighting for double skirmish damage, for instance. At 6th level, a Scout will have +2d6 skirmish.

PHB2 has a feat called Two Weapon Pounce that allows for an off-hand weapon hit on a charge. The requirement is Dex 15, TWF, and BAB +6.

Miniatures Handbok has a feat called Hurling Charge that lets you throw a weapon as a free action during a charge. BAB requirement is +6.

Completely Adventurer has a normally fine feat called Improved Skirmish that adds +2d6 skirmish damage if you move at least 20 feet.

Now, let's take our Scout, give him Combat Training twice. Now he can qualify for feats he was never meant to qualify for, and can pick up Two Weapon Pounce and Hurling Charge. Depending on DM's interpretation, he might also need Quick Draw to grab an additional primary weapon after he Hurls the first one, but probably not, since you can draw a weapon as part of a move if you have a BAB over +1.

Now, our Scout charges a foe, first throwing a handaxe for 1d6+4d6 skirmish. Then he pounces and attempts to hit with each held handaxe for 1d6+4d6 skirmish each. Ignoring weapon bonuses, Strength, and other numerical modifiers, he's doing at least 15d6 (average: 52.5) on a charge, and all because he's qualifying for feats he couldn't get otherwise.

It's honestly worse with classes like Cleric and Druid, who can get that last 2 BAB for 2 feats, and then they're full casters in armor with full BAB, all for the price of two feats. Way way way too good - who wants to play a Paladin or Ranger when you can do stuff like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads