Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

Peskara

Explorer
Balor. Huge outsider (Demon); HD 30d8+180; hps 315; Init +4 (+4 Improved Initiative); Speed 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (average); AC 31 (-2 Size, +23 Natural); Attack +42/+37/+32/+27 (huge +4 Unholy Celestial Bane Flaming Burst greatsword)

Not any more :)
Eadric is an inspiration!

It would be cool to see Tahl, Mulissu and Iua stats sometime. That was a brutal fight. It looked bad for our heroes. I'm so glad no one was permanently killed.

Jeremy

Explorer
+42/+37/+32/+27

RAWR!!

You weren't kidding when you said Eadric was rolling good and Ainhorr was rolling poorly. What a time to blow an opposed attack roll. +25 (buffed to +30 or so?) vs +42 and the balor blew it. :) Go Good Guys Go Good Guys GO!

:D

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Peskara said:

Not any more :)
Eadric is an inspiration!

Yes! He certainly is....Reminds me of that classic picture on the cover of "Paladin in Hell" and in the 1st edition Player's Handbook--the one with the paladin in full plate hacking away at devils.

Of course, Eadric is a demon-killer!

Iua

What a time to blow an opposed attack roll. +25 (buffed to +30 or so?) vs +42 and the balor blew it.

I think Eadric buffs to +36 when he's got Holy Sword and the Strength Domain ability running (for all of 1 round).

Marc moaned at me yesterday about the smite, incidentally. I was way off - the damage should have been colossal. He rolled a 6

(6 +5 (Holy Sword) +15 (Str Bonus) +15 (Smite)) x2 (vs. Evil) x2(Crit) = 164 points of damage. There was a lot happening, and I forgot to factor in the x2 vs evil for Holy Sword.

Oops.

Oh well, no-one's perfect. Ainhorr had to save vs. massive damage in any case. If Eadric had dedicated 2 feats to Extra Smitings, even on an average set of rolls which included 1 crit, he could easily have finished Ainhorr off in a round, which is a kind of scary thought...

Anyway...

Iua

Half-Human / Half-Air Elemental Female Fighter 7 / Duelist 9; medium sized outsider (human); HD 16d10 + 48; hps 140; Init +15 (+9 Dex, +4 Improved, +2 Reaction); Speed 30 ft; AC 30 (+4 Shield, +9 Dex, +4 Natural, +3 Canny); Attack: BAB +16/+11/+6/+1; +28/+28/+23/+18/+13 (Magical Rapier); Dmg 1d6 +5 +2d6 (15-20/x2); SV Fort +11, Ref +19, Will +6; Str 13, Dex 23 (29), Con 17, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 16

Languages: Common, Elven, Auran, Ardanese, Thalassine

Skills: Perform +18 (15 ranks: Satire, Harp, Epic Ballad, Limerick, Storytelling, Lyre, Flute, Mandolin, Dulcimer, Cittern, Mourning, Ode, Formal Dance, Hurdy-Gurdy, Theatre), Tumble +15, Jump +11, Ride +14, Handle Animal +13, Swim +11, Balance +21, Bluff +14, Escape Artist +14, Sense Motive +13, Innuendo +11, Listen +9, Spot +9, Knowledge (The Planes) +13

Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Ambidexterity, Mobility, Expertise, Improved Disarm, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Rapier), Weapon Specialization (Rapier), Weapon Finesse (Rapier), Improved Critical (Rapier).

Special Abilities: Canny Defense, Precise Strike (+2d6), Enhanced Mobility (additional +4 vs AoOs), Grace (+2 Ref Saves), Acrobatic Attack, Elaborate Parry (+9 AC if Fighting Defensively), Improved Reaction (+2 Initiative), Deflect Arrows.

Half-Elemental Qualities: Natural Armour +1, Immune to Disease and Cold, +4 Racial Save vs Poison, Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day- Obscuring Mist, Wind Wall, Gaseous Firm, Air Walk, Control Winds, Chain Lightning, Control Weather, Whirlwind.

Magic Items:
Gloves of Dexterity +6
Amulet of Natural Armour +4
Ring of Invisibility
Medallion of Thoughts
+2 Vampiric Rapier of Speed
+3 Buckler

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Re: Iua

Sepulchrave II said:

(6 +5 (Holy Sword) +15 (Str Bonus) +15 (Smite)) x2 (vs. Evil) x2(Crit) = 164 points of damage. There was a lot happening, and I forgot to factor in the x2 vs evil for Holy Sword.

Well then Ainhorr has 82hpts less than you thought he had. Maybe the celestial hosts or the PCs can track him down and finish him?

Barastrondo

First Post
(6 +5 (Holy Sword) +15 (Str Bonus) +15 (Smite)) x2 (vs. Evil) x2(Crit) = 164 points of damage.

Well, unless you've house-ruled otherwise, remember that multipliers act a little less aggressively when there's more than one of them. 2 x2 multipliers equal a x3 multiplier, not a x4. (PH, pg. 275) Technically, that'd be 123 points of damage; not quite as way off, and you didn't screw poor Eadric as much as you thought you might have.

And although I hope it's not too much added pressure to have one more reader request heaped on you, one of these days I'd really like to see the unique spells of Mulissu's that Iua was using to bribe Mostin. I can sort of guess that some of them might be variations on other spells (Mulissu's Ultimate Plasma Evocation being a lightning variant of meteor swarm, maybe?), but the names are just so evocative that I can't help but wonder.

(Plus, my wife (who reads the Heretic story faithfully) is becoming more and more tempted to go for an elemental savant (air) in my home game, and I imagine having the extra goods to tempt her with would seal the deal.)

(edit: got the page number wrong...)
Thanks again for such an excellent story, at any rate. It's wonderful to have a regular source of good new fantasy reading at hand.

Last edited:

2 x2 multipliers equal a x3 multiplier, not a x4. (PH, pg. 175) Technically, that'd be 123 points of damage; not quite as way off, and you didn't screw poor Eadric as much as you thought you might have.

Hey, you're right. Marc, stop trying to scare me. And besides, you roll the dice - its your job, anyway.

grodog

Hero
Thanks for the updates, Sep. I'm glad to see some high-level 3e at work, from a systemic POV (in addition to the excellent storytelling, of course), since I'm starting to work up some high-level NPCs for Greyhawk. Having some good examples to work from is a big help =)

Peskara

Explorer
Iua

Thanks for posting Iua. She's interesting. I was expecting an Air Genasi with some levels of sorcerer to give her the additional air-type powers she's used. A half-elemental is quite a bit more powerful, but since she's not a PC it doesn't really matter and she can put all her levels into fighter and duelist so she can kick Ortwin's ass!

I mean, I like Ortwin, but it's always nice to see an arrogant braggart get their comeuppance, especially when it's at the hands of a cool and competent woman.

Mulissu

Any feedback appreciated, especially wrt. spells. They haven't been playtested, but they feel about right - I'm certainly open to suggestions, though.

I've got a real problem with Epic Level Spell development costs - and I don't hold with the general gold=magic equation anyway. They are also very quick to develop. I thought about making a new formula, but I'll probably just wing it on an ad hoc basis. If it feels about right, then I'll go with it.

Mulissu

Human Cleric 1 / Wizard (Evoker) 9 / Elemental Savant 11; medium sized humanoid (Elemental); HD 1d8+2 plus 9d4+18 plus 11d4+22; hps 101; Init +4 (+4 Dex); Speed 30 ft, Fly 100 ft. (Perfect); AC 26 (+5 Dex, +5 Natural, +6 Deflection); Attack: BAB: +9/+4; +11/+6 (+1 Dagger) Dmg: 1d4+1 (18-20/x2) (Dagger), SV Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +21; AL CN(G Tendencies); Str 10, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 28 (34), Wis 16 (22) , Cha 17.

Age bonuses and penalties in effect for 39 year old human.
Intelligence includes a +5 inherent bonus.
Dexterity includes a +2 inherent bonus.

Languages: Common, Draconic, Celestial, Old Borchian, Infernal, Auran, Ignan, Terran, Aquan, Elven, Sylvan

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +36, Knowledge (Djinn Culture) +36, Knowledge (The Planes) +36, Knowledge (Nature) +36, Spellcraft +66, Alchemy +36, Scry +36, Concentration +26, Craft (Engraving) +36, Diplomacy +27, Handle Animal +27, Sense Motive +17, Intuit Direction +17, Gather Information +14, Perform +8, Spot +17

Feats: Scribe Scroll, Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell, Maximize Spell, Energy Substitution (Electricity), Empower Spell, Spell Focus (Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Widen Spell, Energy Admixture (Electricity).

Epic Feat: Epic Spellcasting

Special Abilities: Immune to Magical Sleep Effects, Darkvision 60 ft., Immune to Paralysis, Immune to Stunning, Elemental Focus (+4 on Save DC vs Electrical Attacks), Elemental Penetration (+3 on checks to beat SR if using Electricity), Elemental Perfection (Elemental Form, Air Mastery, Whirlwind, Not Subject to Critical Hits. Acid/Earth Vulnerability.). Immunity to Electricity.

Cleric Spells: 3 x 1st level, +1 Domain (Air and Knowledge) per day.

Wizard Spells: 4/7/7/7/7/6/6/5/5/3 per day. Specialty: Evocation (+1 spell/level/day). Prohibited: Abjuration and Illusion.

The Save DCs against Mulissu’s spells are 22 + Spell Level, 26+ Spell Level for spells with the Electrical descriptor, 26 + Spell Level for Evocations, and 30+ Spell Level for Electrical Evocations.

Known:

0lvl: All nonprohibited PHB Cantrips.

1st Level: (Conj) Mage Armour, Mount, Summon Monster I, Unseen Servant; (Div) Comprehend Languages, Identify, Know Protections, True Strike; (Ench) Charm Person, Hypnotism, Sleep; (Evoc) Arcane Bolt, Flame Streak, Force Wave, Lesser Fire Orb, Lesser Electric Orb, Lesser Sonic Orb, Magic Missile, Tenser’s Foating Disc; (Necro) Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, Spirit Worm; (Trans) Animate Rope, Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, Enlarge, Erase, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Low-Light Vision, Magic Weapon, Message, Reduce, Scatterspray, Shocking Grasp, Spider Climb.

2nd Level: (Conj) Choke, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Ice Knife, Summon Monster II, Summon Swarm, Web; (Div) Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility, Understand Object; (Ench) Indifference, Mindless Rage, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter; (Evoc) Cloud of Bewilderment, Combust, Continual Flame, Darkness, Daylight, Flame Dagger, Flaming Sphere, Force Ladder, Gedlee’s Electric Hoop, Shatter; (Necro) Command Undead, Death Armour, False Life, Ghoul Touch, Life Bolt, Scare, Shroud of Undeath, Spectral Hand; (Trans) Alter Self, Blindness/Deafness, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Darkvision, Endurance, Fox’s Cunning, Knock, Levitate, Mirror Image, Owl’s Wisdom, Pyrotechnics, Rope Trick, Whispering Wind.

3rd Level: (Conj) Bands of Bilarro, Flame Arrow, Phantom Steed, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Summon Monster III; (Div) Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Tongues; (Ench) Hold Person, Chamber, Fireball, Gust of Wind, Ice Burst, Leomund’s Tiny Hut, Lightning Bolt, Scintillating Sphere, Shatterfloor, Wind Wall; (Necro) Feign Death, Gentle Repose, Halt Undead, Healing Touch, Negative Energy Burst, Spider Poison, Vampiric Touch; (Trans) Amanuensis, Blink, Fly, Gaseous Form, Greater Magic Weapon, Haste, Keen Edge, Repair Serious Damage, Shrink Item, Slow, Water Breathing.

4th Level: (Conj) Ethereal Mount, Evard’s Black Tentacles, Leomund’s Secure Shelter, Minor Creation, Summon Monster IV; (Div) Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, Zone of Revelation; (Ench) Charm Monster, Confusion, Emotion, Lesser Geas; (Evoc) Cold Orb, Electric Orb, Explosive Cascade, Fire Shield, Fire Orb, Ice Storm, Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles, Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Shout, Sonic Orb, Thunderlance, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ine; (Necro) Contagion, Enervation, Fear, Negative Energy Wave; (Trans) Attune Form, Bestow Curse, Dimension Door, Fire Stride, Improved Cat’s Grace, Improved Eagle’s Splendour, Improved Fox’s Cunning, Improved Owl’s Wisdom, Mass Darkvision, Polymorph Self, Polymorph Other, Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer, Scramble Portal, Spell Enhancer.

5th Level: (Conj) Cloudkill, Lesser Planar Binding, Major Creation, Summon Monster V, Wall of Iron, Wall of Stone; (Div) Contact Other Plane; Prying Eyes, Rary’s Telepathic Bond; (Ench) Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Mind Fog; (Evoc) Ball Lightning, Cone of Cold, Firebrand, Sending, Tenser’s Destructive Resonance, Wall of Force; (Necro) Animate Dead, Kiss of the Vampire, Magic Jar, Spiritwall; (Trans) Fabricate, Ghostform, Passwall, Telekinesis, Teleport, Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud, Xorn Movement; (Univ) Permanency.

6th Level: (Conj) Fire Spiders, Planar Binding, Summon Monster VI; (Div) Analyse Dweomer, True Seeing; (Ench) Geas/Quest, Mass Suggestion; (Evoc) Cacophonic Shield, Chain Lightning, Contingency, Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere, Prismatic Eye; (Necro) Circle of Death, Trollish Fortitude; (Trans) Control Water, Control Weather, Disintegrate, Energy Transformation Field, Eyebite, Fiendform, Flesh to Stone, Hardening, Make Manifest, Mass Fly, Mass Haste, Move Earth, Stone to Flesh, Tenser’s Transformation.

7th Level: (Conj) Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion, Power Wod Stun, Summon Monster VII; (Div) Greater Scrying, Vision; (Ench) Insanity; (Evoc) Bigby’s Grasping Hand, Delayed Blast Fireball, Forcecage, Great Thunderclap, Prismatic Spray, Reality Maelstrom; (Necro) Control Undead, Finger of Death; (Trans) Elemental Body, Ethereal Jaunt, Mass Teleport, Plane Shift, Reverse Gravity, Statue, Teleport Without Error; (Univ) Limited Wish.

8th Level: (Conj) Greater Planar Binding, Incendiary Cloud, Maze; (Div) Discern Location; (Ench) Binding, Demand; (Evoc) Bigby’s Clenched Fist, Flensing, Great Shout, Sunburst; (Necro) Clone, Horrid Wilting; (Trans) Etherealness, Mass Manifest, Polymorph any Object; (Univ) Symbol

9th Level: (Conj) Gate, Power Word Kill, Summon Monster IX; (Div) Foresight; (Ench) Dominate Monster; (Evoc) Bigy’s Crushing Hand, Chain Contingency, Meteor Swarm; (Necro) Astral Projection; (Trans) Shapechange, Temporal Stasis; (Univ) Wish

Magic Items

The Sapphire of Mutable Coruscations
Ring of Protection +6
Amulet of Natural Armour +5
Crystal Ball with Telepathy
Mostin’s Metamorphic Apparatus
+1 Shocking Burst Rapier
2 Gloves of Storing
Ring of Spellcraftiness (adds +30 to Spellcraft skill checks)
Mostin’s Pseudonatural Helper
+1 Dagger
Folding Boat
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Obsidian Steed
Bag of Holding (IV)
Scrolls to the Value of 75,000 gp: these include duplicates of her original spells, and a number of spells from banned schools (Illusion, Abjuration) which are maintained for trade value.

The Sapphire of Mutable Coruscations is a perfectly spherical gemstone the size of a walnut, which can be seen to swirl with all shades of blue, yellow and white. Its origins are unknown, but it was known to be coveted by the Xorn King Krygnasz before falling into the hands of Mulissu.
The Sapphire grants its owner a +6 enhancement bonus to intelligence, and allows him or her to summon an Elder Air Elemental of maximum hit points once per day. The Elemental serves unfailingly for a period of one hour. Once per week, the Sapphire can be used to invoke a Prismatic Sphere. All spell abilities are at 20th level where appropriate.

Unique Spells:

Mulissu’s Quasi-Elemental Transformation

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell transforms the spellcaster’s body into radiant ionized energy which has a number of different effects.

- The Caster gains damage reduction of 30/+3 for the duration of the spell.
- He or she can fly at a Speed of 150ft. with perfect maneuverability.
- Untended combustible items which come into contact with the caster are ignited. With a touch, the caster may melt metals with the boiling point of lead or gold in one round. Iron or steel begins to redden after one round, becomes white-hot after three rounds, and melts at the end of five rounds. One cubic foot per caster level may be affected.
- The Caster continually sheds light equivalent to a ‘Daylight’ spell in a 60 ft. radius.
- The Caster becomes immune to all fire, electrical and positive energy effects (including magical healing), and immune to deafness, blindness, ability score damage, disease, drowning, poison, stunning, critical hits and death from massive damage. He or she takes normal damage from acid and sonic attacks, and double damage from water and cold based attacks on a failed save. He or she suffers a –4 penalty on saves against energy draining or enervation attacks. The Caster becomes immune to attacks which target physiological or respiratory systems, as he or she possesses neither. He or she is considered to have an effective mass of zero, negating spells such as ‘Reverse Gravity’ which might target him or her.
- He or she cannot cast spells for the duration of the Transformation but, as a standard action, may make an electrical ranged or melee touch attack which deals 3d6 points of damage plus one point per caster level (maximum +25). The attack has a range of 100ft. + 10ft. per caster level.

Mulissu’s Ultimate Plasma Evocation

Evocation [Electricity]
Range: Close (30 ft.)(see text)
Effect: 30 ft. radius burst centred on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half and Fortitude negates (see below)

The caster’s body becomes a living conduit for immense plasma energies, which are expressed as a burst of electrical energy which radiates instantaneously from the caster’s person.

Creatures caught within the blast area sustain 1d8 points per caster level (max 25d8) of electricity damage: a successful Reflex Save halves the damage.

Furthermore, the shockwave generated by the Ultimate Plasma Evocation is sufficient to knock creatures of Large size or smaller prone, or blow creatures of Medium size or smaller away unless they make successful Fortitude Saves against the spell. Creatures who are blown away are thrown back 1d4x10 feet, fall prone and sustain 1d4 points of subdual damage per 10 feet thrown.

Mulissu’s Instantaneous Elemental Tempest

Conjuration (Summoning) [Air]
Range: One mile (see text)
Effect: 20 ft. radius centred on you, 10 ft./level radius centred on you and a one mile radius, centred on you (see text)
Duration: Concentration (maximum 4 rounds)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)

This spell creates a potent zone of magical cyclonic activity with a radius of one mile centred on the caster. Three distinct regions exist within the Elemental Tempest, as the power of the spell increases towards the centre.

- The tertiary zone, which extends out to the full one mile limit, is characterized by hurricane-force winds which render normal missile attacks useless and cause siege weapons to incur a penalty of –8 on attack rolls. Medium-sized or smaller creatures are blown away, large creatures are knocked down and huge creatures are checked unless they succeed at a Fortitude save with a DC of 20.
- The secondary zone, which extends up to 20ft. per caster level, is characterized by all of the above effects, and, in addition, is shot through by lightning. Every round that a creature stays within the secondary zone, he or she is 50% likely to be struck by lightning and suffer 1d6 dice of damage (d6s). A successful reflex save halves the amount of damage sustained.
- The primary zone, with a radius of 20ft., is an area of intense electromagnetic activity, and is characterized by plasma vortices, unusual lightning phenomena, and bizarre atmospheric conditions. Whilst neither the conditions of the tertiary nor secondary zones prevail within the primary zone, it has its own dangers. Creatures within the primary zone sustain 1d8 points of electrical damage +1 point per caster level (max +25) every round, with no saving throw allowed.

Mulissu’s Holocaust of Lightning (In Development)

Evocation [Electricity]
Spellcraft DC: 69
Range: 600 ft
Area: 100 ft. radius sphere
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 621,000 gp; 13 days; 24,840 XP. Seed: Energy (Electricity)(DC19). Factors: 1 action casting time (+20 DC), increase range by 100% (+2 DC), change area to 20-ft. radius (+2 DC), increase area by 400% (+16 DC), increase damage to 40d6 (+60 DC), specialist school (-5 DC), elemental speciality (ad hoc –5 DC). Mitigating factors: 20d6 Backlash (-20 DC), burn 2000 XP (-20 DC).

The first of the ‘New Wave’ of Mulissu’s spells…

Notes:

What can I say? Mulissu is everyone’s favourite NPC.

Remove ads