Eberron Question: Droaam Mercenaries

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I'm certain I remember Droaam mercenaries being hired in units with a minimum number of troops but I can't find it in any of the books now. Does anyone else remember where to find that? Barring an answer I'll probably have them hired as platoon-sized units as a minimum.

I was going to set up a shortish adventure with the party commanding a group of Droaam mercenaries skirmishing and terrorizing in the western parts of Breland during the Last War.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Checked an online source of Forge of War, now I remember why I never bought that one it was faceplam inducing. Similar to Heroes of Battle which was absolutely garbage when it came to dealing with armies and warfare themselves rather than the fairly good advice on how to bring warfare into a campaign.

I still think there was a reference to Droaam mercenaries being hired in units of no less than twenty in one of the early books. However since I can't find it I'm going to improvise. I'll base the organization of the Five Nations armies off US Civil War units. The Darguun goblinoid forces will be modified from this. Valenar elves will have similarities to Cossacks. For breakdown of forces I'll check some demographics by class and level charts and figure out the ratios.

As for the Droaam mercenaries, the party will be ~7-9th level and in command of the mercenaries. Right now I'm looking at a total formation of platoon size, with party acting as command element, two main squads, 'shock' squad, and reconnaissance element.

Recon Squad: (1)Harpy+(5)Immature(diminished) Harpies
Skirmisher Squad: (1)Gnoll Ranger 2+(1)Gnoll Ranger 1+(7)Gnolls
Shock Squad: (1)Medusa PC Class 1+(1)Minotaur+(4)Adolescent(diminished) Minotaurs

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Read over the pertinent info.

Looks like they provide 4 examples for Infantry, 1 example for Calvary, 2 examples for special purpose units. Of the examples, the least number of monsters was 2, the largest had 15.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
The problem is that none of them work as military formations. They work fine as party encounters, but they don't work as parts of a larger force. Heroes of Battle and Forge of War both have this problem. So while I'm using some of it as general advice for how various nations tend to do things I'll build the details myself.

Remove ads