D&D 2E Edition Experience - Did/Do you Play AD&D 2E? How Was/Is It?

How Did/Do You Feel About 2nd Edition AD&D?

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm playing it right now and so far, I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Oh and one house rule we added late was allowing humans to multiclass and non-humans to dual class.

Best house rule. Dual class makes much more sense for races with, ya know, level limits and hundreds of years to spare.
Absolutely. Just be sure to also give humans some kind of racial abilities while you're at it so people don't have to handicap themselves to play them. :LOL:

At least when I did it, humans were the ONLY race that could multiclass.
Given how bonkers MCing is in AD&D I'd expect that would basically relegate demihumans to a curiosity, at most, maybe with a couple niche exceptions like Halfling Thief where the racial bonus is really huge and comes directly in your primary class function.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Given how bonkers MCing is in AD&D I'd expect that would basically relegate demihumans to a curiosity, at most, maybe with a couple niche exceptions like Halfling Thief where the racial bonus is really huge and comes directly in your primary class function.
It might do that, definitely. We had a lot of confounding variables in play; Skills and Powers was being used, we were in Planescape, and using the Dragon magazine article that gave Skills and Powers point buy to Planescape races, so we had a lot of Planescape races being tried out. With S&P being used, the desire to MC went down quite a bit. And we only did this for a few sessions until we swapped to an Alternity game, so the sample size is really small.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Although more likely to be for an OSE game, this is something that I was thinking of implementing for a 2e game.
  • Classes are all available to everyone.
  • Multiclassing is available for everyone, as is dual classing.
  • Humans now have a racial adjustment (I'll use the OSE adjustments for simplicity).
  • A 10% xp bonus is applied for following an archetype, stacking with prime requisite.
    • Humans get the bonus if single classed. They continue to gain the bonus if dual-classing.
    • Elves get the bonus if a ranger or if a fighter/mage.
    • Halflings get the bonus if a single classed thief or acrobat.
    • Dwarves get the bonus if a single classed fighter or a fighter/cleric
This means that a human fighter with 16 strength would gain a +20% bonus to earned xp, as would a dwarf fighter. An elf fighter/mage with a strength of 11 and intelligence of 16 would gain a +10% bonus to fighter experience and a +20% bonus to their wizard experience, though I'm also tempted to merge multiclasses into a single class, combining the xp for each level together but that would change how prime requisites work.

Remove ads