• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Effect of Darkness spell in combat

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I was wondering about this, actually. The 'Blinded' creature only 'fails any ability check that requires sight'; our group doesn't assume opportunity attacks are an ability check, but I was wondering if that's how they defined it somewhere.
It doesn't only do that, a blinded creature can’t see .... so any ability that require seeing is automatically failed by a blinded creature since it can't see.

Kalshane

First Post
While it hasn't come up yet in a game I've run, I'd probably impose disadvantage on attacks for everyone who can't see/doesn't have a special sense to aid them. While it potentially means a lot of whiffing, I don't like the idea of trying to fight in magical darkness being almost identical to fighting in a brightly-lit room.

Rich van Wilder

First Post
could darkness be cast to an arrow. Then fired at a creature or an object ? also in regards to attacking a creature surrounded by darkness or attacking from darkness would a spell such as burning hands which hits everything in a 15 foot still work the same even if you are unable to see creature or see out of the the darkness your self ?

TennyZab

First Post
If a caster casts darkness on an object they wear and moves about. Enemies could know where he is if they can see the whole sphere of darkness. They would know he is in the center and could target that space with missile attacks at disadvantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads