• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eladrin, Green Dragons, and the Royal Road

bringerofbroom

First Post
shadowguidex said:
I like the idea that Eladrin disappear and reappear yet nobody ever seems to see them actually do it, like the movies where you glace to the side and back and they are gone, or you blink and missed it. The Eladrin has such a subtle method about him that nobody ever actually sees the effects, only the results, even if they are looking right at them (teleport mid blink).

Then that eladrin is stuffed if he encounters a beholder! - always at least one eye on you!

Andur

First Post
3) I live about 200 ft from El Camino Real, the road that went north from mexico and connected all of the california missions.

El Camino Real is not actually one road. It exists in Mexico, California, Arizonia, and Texas. New Mexico has the oldest "branch" of the El Camino Real outside of Mexico. It is more or less the equivalant of the Interstate Highway System of today.

As far as why to travel the old road, well there is always that lost City of Gold... (and chocalate)

arscott

First Post
Er, well, the one I live next to is the Californian one, though.

For reasons related to the second rule of dungeoncraft, I think I'll stick with one long, straight road in my campaign.

keterys said:
Heck, they're _fey_ elves. Tinkerbell dust and all.
My philosophy on fey: They should either be dark and subtle and dangerous, like Batman, or they should be bright and happy and even more dangerous, like the Joker. Tinkerbell falls into the latter category, what with putting out a hit on Wendy and all.

No comments on the Green Dragon?

Remathilis

Legend
1.) I'm kinda hoping for eladrin teleports like in Jumper, taking along parts of the scenery with them on jumps, esp ones that are strenuous.

2.) I was hoping for less "nose spike" and more "snake-like head with huge freakin fangs", but meh...

3.) adventuring for chocolate eh? only if your ready to use chocolate golems in your game (which remarkably look like huge, hollow rabbits...)

malraux

First Post
bringerofbroom said:
Then that eladrin is stuffed if he encounters a beholder! - always at least one eye on you!
Perhaps that's why all beholders are crazy, they actually glimpse the lovecraftian truth of the eladrin.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
arscott said:
Some musings:

1) Do Eladrin teleport like Nightcrawler or like Batman? When Nightcrawler teleports, there's a loud "Bamf!" and a puff of smoke. Batman doesn't actually teleport as such, but if you glance away for a few seconds, he's gone when you look back.

Obviously, the Eladrin's teleport is a magical effect, so it's not like Batman's in that regard. But I usually envision fey magic to be on the subtle side, unless a flashy effect is specifically called for (and in fact, Fey-pact powers like Eyebite and Curse of the Dark Dream bear that out somewhat. Only Witchfire seems to have a big, flashy look to it).
I say they disappear and reappear in flashy vortices of brilliant, swirling energy. :)

2) I hate the new green dragon look. Worlds and Monsters said it looked too generic, but did any of them see the 2e MM picture? That green dragon looked very serpentine and cunning--the perfect look for something that's supposed to follow in the footsteps of Cyan Bloodbane. Instead, they make the new green dragon very spikey. Congratulations, now instead of looking like a generic dragon, it looks like a blue dragon--I'm not sure how that improves things.[/QUOTE]
I don't care for the new look of the green dragon, either. This pic has always been the "canonical" green dragon for me:

CaldwellGreenDragon.jpg

The dragon looks conniving and subtle, which is an accurate reflection of the 4e green dragon IMO.

3) I live about 200 ft from El Camino Real, the road that went north from mexico and connected all of the california missions.

I really like the concept of a missionary road leading into the wilderness--I think that'll be the focus of my first 4e Points of Light campaign. Of course, with the collapse of the last empire, the church has abandoned the missions to fend for themselves. Some have been overtaken by the Wilderness and the monsters it contains. Some have become bastions of corrupt power, forgetting that they exist to convert the natives, not to exploit them. And perhaps one still recall their holy task (though I doubt they'd have much luck without the backing of civilization).

The PCs will be travelling along the road, but I don't think they'll be travelling to the missions as such. Instead, they'll probably be part of a trading venture, heading deeper into the wilderness, beyond the farthest mission.
That sounds cool tubular. If a PC is a Cleric, maybe one of his motivations is to reclaim a holy object for his order.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads