Elements of Magic teaser, Move Element list

RangerWickett said:
Your idea for Move Time is what Infuse Time does. It lets people take actions faster.

Hmm... Well, okay. The main idea behind my Move Time interpretation (WTH did I just say?) was TIME STOP at 17 MP just as the 9th level spell in the 3rd and 3.5 edition Player's Handbook, representing slowing time down to the point that it stopped for you, and going so slow at higher levels that you're effectively moving back in time. But, If you want limitations in the name of game balance, you could have move time affect your age, in other words, if you go to a hundred or two years back or forward in time, you either die from old age or unbirth. Then we have Elves to think about..........so much for world balance. (world balance? Its the logic behind game balance. Why isn't this GM having trouble bleeding off PC wealth? Because s/he thought out where all (if any) money the monsters are carrying came from and why the monsters are gathering treasure in the first place (sure, Minotaurs love +2 Greatswords of making PC races get really big boo-boos, but where do they spend the gold or gems they find?)

ANYWAY, I thought I'd ask this; How would I go make a Mage that gains his magic from the parts of monsters, and still be fun to play, practacal, and holding on to the fact that he relies on the type of magical creatures that exist in the world using the EoM system? (I don't really expect you to answer this sometime soon, but it WILL keep you at night. Oh yeah, and the post is long.)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Well, you could make Move Time the opposite of Infuse Time, low MP costs imposing Init penalties, then slow at some point as well as time hop (third-level psionic power).

Hi, first of all, I would like to say that yes, I'm THAT Blue mage for hire. I've been having boatloads of trouble logging in, so I registered a new name. Anyway, I have another idea for Move Time:
Okay, specifically, the main problem with Move Time is if the pc's (or npc's for that matter) abuse this to change the past and screw over the universe. For example, don't like someone? Go back into the past and kill his pregant mother. You never met him. But then, if the Time mage becomes so powerful that the past is not set in stone for him, then he is THE class, and everyone has different ideas about what the past should be. But that assumes you can AFFECT the PAST.
What!?
Exactly. So affecting the past is a no-no, what about viewing it? Or just going to the future. Theres a reason for me to put empasis on both effect or past. If Scry lets you see the present, Move Space lets you affect the faraway present, Divination lets you see the future, but what about affecting the future or viewing the past? (Actually, maybe divination already does that, but hey, you no longer have only second hand accounts from self-righteous historians who write biased reports.) Foretelling the future has been a fasination, but no one ever thought of seeing the past. Here are some possible rules I think are cool:

1: You can go into the near future, fight the bad guys a couple of rounds, warp back, and fight them with the very real expectations of being helped by yourselves! Be warned, though or you and your allies (and their "other" selves) will have to make will saves (DC 23) or attack their counterpart in a severe identity crisis as happens with many wizards in the Harry Potter universe (Or David in the movie AI, even though it wasn't neccessarily time travel; David: No, I'M DAVID!!! I'M DAVID!!! I'M DAVID *smashes the other David's head open*.)

2: You can visit the past with a black-and-white overtune and watch say, the first amphibion emerge from the water. But you're watching a memory, and you get affect it in anyway. The time, the second, the instant that I began typing this post is gone, I can't do anything else to that event. The people who died are gone, that great taco joint is gone, all those events are gone, swallowed up by the hungry void that is the past. But don't waste your time worrying about the mere time you've wasted! Enjoy life, and replace the History Channel with a good dose of Move Time. Sorry about all the depression.

3. Don't forget: The more expensive the spell, the further you can go, the longer you can stay, and the more you can do (with the past-watching option at high levels, you might even be able to actually affect the past! While the Future-only option makes low-level spells allows you to do nothing in the future but watch, just more effective, cooler Divinations.

4: You usually, you need to Scry and then Teleport. Why not combine Divination and Move Time in the same way? What is time, specifically? Not the terms we can use in an attempt to describe it (seconds, days, events, years, etc.), but the real force. The chain that links yesterday to today to tommorrow to the day after that? Surely, you have to know the coordinates of your target destination, or you miss by a few years, or even get thrown out of the space-time continuum! This works in with ANY way you do Move Time. Don't forget that only moving through time, not space, so if your standing on top of a castle that wasn't built in the time you warp to, well..... its a looooooonnnnnngggg way down.

5: Preserve, Decay, Temporal stasis, don't forget these spells/ lists if you haven't done them in infuse or something.

So remember AFFECT the PAST is the problem, make it less difficult for a DM, more dangerous for the mage using it, or just less useful and you got yourself a fully-functional, game-balanced Move Time.

Dalamar said:
Well, you could make Move Time the opposite of Infuse Time, low MP costs imposing Init penalties, then slow at some point as well as time hop (third-level psionic power).

Oh, and I think Dalamar's idea is great, just it doesn't seem very Move-like to me.

Blue mage for hire2 said:
Don't forget that only moving through time, not space,

So remember AFFECT the PAST is the problem

What's wrong with my grammar!? I got an A in English, and I'm in college! That's not bragging! That noting the sudden decline of knowledge of years and years of repeating a boring subject! WTHs rong with mi! wot? STFU u NOOB!!! i pwn u! derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........................................

It seems half the time like you're time traveling to yourself and talking to yourself. Heh.

Anyway, Move Time is just time hopping forward for right now. Divination lets you see or learn about the past and future, and Scry lets you see elsewhere in the present.

The full release in pdf format is still at least a month away, but the complete teaser with all the sample material should be released before the end of this week. I've sent it off to a few people for proofreading.

RangerWickett said:
the complete teaser with all the sample material should be released before the end of this week. .

*does the macarena*

*stops himself*

*does the chicken dance*

*Chicken dance music starts out of nowhere*

*stops himself to end the gay music*

I need to learn new some ways to celebrate. Oh,well.

*waits patiently for teaser and tries to supress violent urge to go play simgirl on newgrounds.com*

gpetruc

First Post
Trying to solve the problem of Move Time ...
just rule that you can't modify the past in a way to achieve a paradox.

Travelling back in time could be done a bit like what happens in the Legends series of Dragonlance (except for the kenders and gnomes)

Little changes could be possible, and you would keep all your experience (and knowledge, damage, money, items ...) you earned in the past, providing the things can be "fixed" in a way that everything seems ok.

Otherwise, if you try (for example) to kill your foe's mother before he is born, you will simply fail for a reason (for example a misterious stranger saves her) that was not known to you before going back in time.

Instead you could go in the past, find the entrance of a ruined temple, steal a gem inside the temple and get back. In the histories of those ancient time it will be recorded (but maybe these memories have been lost since now).

You could even look in ancient histories, find records of "misterious people" and try to go back in time and be those people (maybe you can, maybe not, you won't know before ...)

This still leaves some burden on the DM, but solves the main issues while leaving open the possibility to travel in the past.

What do you think ?

Remove ads