• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elf or half-elf?

CombatWombat51

First Post
I was looking at another templated thing at WotC's site, and there was one creature that was a half demon/half elf.

Does that mean that it's an elf with the half demon template, or a half-elf? If it means elf, what would you call the child of a demon and a half elf?

Just idle wondering... seems funny to me :lol:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
CombatWombat51 said:
I was looking at another templated thing at WotC's site, and there was one creature that was a half demon/half elf.

Does that mean that it's an elf with the half demon template, or a half-elf? If it means elf, what would you call the child of a demon and a half elf?

Just idle wondering... seems funny to me :lol:

Which "templated thing" are you referring to? It would be helpful if you provide a link for us, to avoid any confusion.

It seems to me it would be a half-elf. I would imagine it would be called a "half demon/elf" if it were an elf and not a half-elf. One clue to look for is to check its stats. They usually give a sample creature, so you can just check to see if it has the half-elf racial traits or the elf racial traits.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well, unfortunately, the standard terminology when applying a 'half' template seems to be to add 'half' to the name of the base race as well.

So if you add the Half-Fiend template to a Hill Giant, I would call it a Half-Fiend Hill Giant, but published examples seem to use Half-Fiend Half-Hill Giant.

(I'm not sure if the 3.5 MM continues this tradition...?)

Following this convention, applying the Half-Fiend template to an Elf would get you a Half-Fiend Half-Elf (with all the Half-Fiend changes applied to the Elf base creature), but applying it to a Half-Elf would get you a Half-Fiend Half-Half-Elf (with all the Half-Fiend changes applied to the Half-Elf base creature).

I don't like the extra 'Half' convention in the terminology. Any other template gets added to a creature, the creature name doesn't change.

A Fiendish, Anarchic, Gelatinous, Zombie Orc. No problem. But as soon as we apply a Half-X template, the name makes it look like a template applied to a Half-Orc... which is a different creature.

-Hyp.

CombatWombat51

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
Which "templated thing" are you referring to? It would be helpful if you provide a link for us, to avoid any confusion.

It seems to me it would be a half-elf. I would imagine it would be called a "half demon/elf" if it were an elf and not a half-elf. One clue to look for is to check its stats. They usually give a sample creature, so you can just check to see if it has the half-elf racial traits or the elf racial traits.

Bah, I could have swore I wrote a paragraph explaining that I don't care about that particular creature :\ Like you said, I could just look at its stats and figure out what it is. I was just wondering about the situation in general :)

Remove ads