ELI5 - Status of Work adapted from someone else's CC-BY materials?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Could the new work be released as C0?
Your portion but not the CC-BY portion. This might be useful for some examples of more and less restrictive licenses

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Thats a vague question, you need more specifics on whether you are trying to share the final product.

If WotC uses the SRD for making 5.5e PHB, and a huge part of the SRD is CC-BY, does WotC itself need to give the attribution in the 5.5e PHB?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
CC-BY is the most permissive license, you can create a commercial work based on it, and you don't have to make your work shared.

That last part was the part I wanted clarification on - I couldn't find anything that just came out and said it. (I wish the table in the FAQ had a column for "No Permissions" as well). One of the posters in another thread is under the impression that CC-BY works like one of the share ones.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If WotC uses the SRD for making 5.5e PHB, and a huge part of the SRD is CC-BY, does WotC itself need to give the attribution in the 5.5e PHB?
I don't think that's how it works, since even under a CC-BY Wizards is still the holder of the copyright and so can use it however they want and also license it to other people under different terms if they choose to.

It's just that a CC-BY license is open and irrevocable so they can't take it back. Or at least irrevocable according to 2023 legal terminology. 23 years ago the OGL was written to be irrevocable too, and now we're being told the magic words that worked then don't work so good anymore, so who knows what 2046 legalese will look like.

Remove ads