• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elven Language / how to say love in elven?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I think this may have come up recently, but I can't find it anywhere.

I need to know how to say the word love in Elven. My character and another have developed a relationship of sorts and have become all that is good and true in the world for our group (not too much to live up to!). So I would like to know the word in case it comes up, and I have a feeling it will.

I looked in the Dragon magazine about Elves, and surprisingly it's not in there.

Any ideas?

Queenie

I'm trying to avoid having to read 500 pages on Tolkien, but I will if I have to!

Tsyr

Explorer
Actualy, I think lover would be "melro", not "meldo".

Now, "melindo" would be a valid one... it would refer specificly to a lover who was male. Likewise, "melinde" would refer to a female lover.

Maudlin

First Post
Also (unless someone corrects me), I think "I love you" is translated into Quenya as 'melnye tye', derived from the stems mentioned above.

kengar

First Post
Tsyr said:
Actualy, I think lover would be "melro", not "meldo".

Now, "melindo" would be a valid one... it would refer specificly to a lover who was male. Likewise, "melinde" would refer to a female lover.

I defer to anyone who has made an active study of Quenya. I am merely quoting the above link. :)

Corlon

First Post
who thinks they can type up the many many pages it takes to say, "hello* how are you?" in ent?

*Hello takes two pages by itself :D

Tewligan

First Post
Tsyr said:
I've always used melin-le for "I love you"... hmmm... aught to go check on that...
"Always?" I can't help but wonder how often the need to express love in the elvish tongue comes up in your daily life...

Suldulin

First Post
Tewligan said:

"Always?" I can't help but wonder how often the need to express love in the elvish tongue comes up in your daily life...

could see using it as a replacement for 'using' french with a girlfriend, wife, spouse, significant other, etc. . .

Remove ads