• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elves and Armour

Stalker0

Legend
candidus_cogitens said:
Definitely, yes, elves CAN wear heavy armor while trancing.

A trance is not sleep. (And "rest" for elven wizards is not sleep either!)

Nothing in the rules, explicit or implicit, says that trance or rest should be treated as sleep as regards the matter of wearing armor.

The burden of proof would have to be on the side of those who wanted to assert that elves SHOULD suffer the fatigue effect.

While I don't like it, I agree with candidus that trance the way its used in the phb is different from sleep, and therefore elves can trance in full armor.

I don't know if WOTC wanted it that way or not, but that's the way the rules state it.

Coredump

Explorer
Just because it is different, doesn't mean it does work the same. Like many things in D&D, when working on a rule, you look at other rules as a guideline.

You are right, it is not specifically mentioned that they can't; but then it doesn't mention that they can't juggle while meditating either.
Since it is a "deep trance" and it is "resting" and they dream while doing it. It seems quite reasonable that they would not be as successful doing all this if they were wearing heavy armour. (How does one get in the Lotus position in full plate?? :) )

Are any other benefits of trance vs. sleep mentioned? Like being aware at night, etc.?

Besides, I think having the armour on 24/7 would incur its own penalty....

Eternalknight

First Post
I would be inclined to give them the same penalty as if they had been sleeping. They still need to rest, and I can't imagine being able to have a good rest while wearing heavy armour.... Not only that, but an elf's trance seems to be the same as sleep for most things.

Fenes 2

First Post
Coredump said:
Besides, I think having the armour on 24/7 would incur its own penalty....

/Sarcasm on:

Don't you know that Elven armor is so superiour to anything else that an elf can wear elven chain or full plate all his life without suffering any drawbacks? Read the "complete guide to uber-elves" if you do not believe me!

/Sarcasm off

Kidding aside, I do not believe elves should get to wear armor without penalties. Trancing instead of sleeping is enough of an advantage.

Deadguy

First Post
It's amazing how a little bit of flavour text - and that's all that Elven Trancing is, a means to incorporate the facility of resisting sleep magics - gets blown up out of all proportion until the elves acquire their superhuman status! D&D elves are not Tolkienian elves - they aren't the chosen of Eru, they aren't immortals, they aren't near-deific in their abilities! D&D elves are the mortal kin of the Fey creatures, the spiritual essences of nature. They are mortal beings.

Needing to trance for only 4 hours is a perk, a nod at explaining the sacred cow game abilities. Nothing more. For all purposes where the period of rest is relevant - and that really is just spellcasting - they still need the standard 8 hours rest. So, no, they suffer for trancing in heavy armour, and no, they have no advantage to spot sounds when they trance. I vehemently disagree with candidus_cogitens on this point: the balance of proof lies with you and yours to demonstrate what the limits of trance are! If the rules don't specifically allow it, then you are going to have to follow the nearest analogue we do know about: sleep!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads