• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elysium (Here There Be Spoilers)

biotech66

Explorer
I think of this as heavy handed SCI-FI. The director and writers have some points they want, and they threw out some logic to get there. That was a problem as SCI-FI already throws some logic out and doing that too much will put too many cracks in the fourth wall. I loved this movie, but if you think too hard beyond "Rich, selfish, white people are bad and 99% are good" you will see how much it fails to be real. Great movie, but don't think to much about it.

Mallus

Legend
I recently watched Bong Joon-Ho's Snowpiercer and it got me thinking of Elysium. Both are heavy-handed sci-fi allegories --ie, the best kind -- and both construct worlds that barely make a lick of sense.

I loved Snowpiercer. I mostly enjoyed Elysium, but I kept wanting to rewrite it so it made more sense. For example, I'd set it much farther in the future, with more shorty toga-wearing characters, fewer overt references to the present-day world, and a greater sense that virtually no one understands the systems running their society anymore, and thus can be reprogrammed by a single important guy.

All of that would make the story easier to swallow. Even the magi-tech medical beds.

Snowpiercer takes place barely 20 or 30 years in the future, in a totally transmographied 'society' aboard one of least believable 'arks' in SF history. And yet, I bought the whole thing hook, line, and sinker.

It comes down to tone, I think. But I can't quite articulate why the tone fails the story badly in Elysium.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
FWIW I was fine with the ham-handed messages, and frankly Matt Damon was the reason I ended up watching it (so some South African rapper or Eminem would have lost me as a customer).

However, the nutty plot holes (the defense system was just stupidity itself), bad science (especially the way-too-small-to-have-any-atmospheric-pressure rings), and worst of all, the incredibly gratuitous violence made me wish I'd not wasted 2 hours and $3.99.

Remove ads