Email Opt-Out

Envisioner

Explorer
I have meticulously gone through Preferences and turned off every single checkbox I can find, to indicate that I should not be emailed under any circumstances to notify me of new posts - I check the site daily and need no reminders to do so. However, I am still getting multiple notification emails. Are they just on a prolonged delay from before I turned them off? Or is there still a control I've missed that needs deactivating?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
When you watch a thread explicitly (clicking that "Watch" button up there), you can choose not to be notified.
1591483472570.png

If you have already signed up for threads that you were getting emailed from, then you'll need to go to each of those threads and "Unwatch" and rewatch as above - selecting "without receiving email notifications".

As you noted, you've already updated the checkboxes here:
1591483593894.png

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I mostly turned off notifications as I got them in my email inbox. So eventually they mostly went away. Every once in a while, someone will necro a thread from before... March maybe?... when I turned them off. And actually then I'm sort of happy to get the notification of the necro thread. Since it's a rare event, now it's like a little gift...

Envisioner

Explorer
I mostly turned off notifications as I got them in my email inbox. So eventually they mostly went away. Every once in a while, someone will necro a thread from before... March maybe?... when I turned them off. And actually then I'm sort of happy to get the notification of the necro thread. Since it's a rare event, now it's like a little gift...

Right, I get that. The problem was that my email notifications were on some sort of a delay, and I was getting deluged with a flood of notifications for threads I was already finished posting in.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Right, I get that. The problem was that my email notifications were on some sort of a delay, and I was getting deluged with a flood of notifications for threads I was already finished posting in.
Oh, I didn't get that from your original post. That does sound like a bug :-/

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
If you have already signed up for threads that you were getting emailed from, then you'll need to go to each of those threads and "Unwatch" and rewatch as above - selecting "without receiving email notifications".

It's a lot easier to go to your "Watched" page and select either "Manage Watched Threads" > "Disable Email Notification" in the top right, or select the relevant threads and use "With selected..." > "Disable email notification" at the bottom right.

Especially if, like me, you're following quite a few threads.

Delay of notifications could be a bug, or perhaps something in your e-mail settings that went wrong. I do occassionally get notifications (through Tapatalk; I've disabled e-mail) a few minutes later, when I've already watched that update. Not sure why that is.

Envisioner

Explorer
So for an example of what the problem I'm having is: Here is the header of the email I received just a few minutes ago:

No Longer an Interest Check - 5E Rise of Tiamat + Corebooks PBP - OOC - New reply to watched thread
Jun 12 at 3:14 PM
Morrus' Unofficial Tabletop RPG News <donotreply@enworld.org>
To: (I'll go ahead and redact my personal email address, thank you)

Here's the post itself which this notification was about:

You will note that gargoyleking made this post yesterday, the 11th, and this my email notification about it took over 24 full hours to arrive. Three more posts have been made in the thread since then, which I assume means I'm going to get three more emails.

Remove ads